But possibly the most vexing of issues has to be that of shoes, bevause their feet tend to be flat, wide and therefore need to be designed accordingly.
Being Overweight Affect Your Feet & Body
- Weight Impact – Your feet carry the weight of your entire body when you walk, run or stand and absorb the impact when your foot strikes the ground.
Wear & Tear – The heavier you are, the harder your feet need to work to support your body’s weight. Being overweight will stress not only your feet but legs as well and cause them to wear down with time.
Joints Pain – People who are heavier also add more strain to their knees, ankles, and hips, which can lead to a range of issues with time.
A Vicious Circle – Simple activities such as walking and standing could become very painful and uncomfortable to people who are obese, leading to even less much-needed exercise and activity which further adds to weight gain.
Footwear and Exercise for Overweight Person
First of all, make sure that your shoes fit correctly and are not too loose or tight, your feet may widen and become larger with weight gain, and your foot’s arches may also flatten or collapse, so make sure to find a shoe that is appropriate and fits well.
Footwear with adequate cushioning and the correct support for your foot type and pronation type, which helps to brace your foot’s structure, will work the best.
Activities such as cycling and swimming are most recommended for people who are overweight or suffering from obesity and foot pain.
If you spend most of your time sitting down, you have to stand up or walk around for a few minutes and so gradually to increase activity.
What to Look for in a Shoe for a Heavy Person
For the shoes that overweight people wear, not only have to be robust and durable enough to withstand all the weight but have to be comfortable and safe to wear as well.
Special attention needs to be made when designing shoes for obese people, the shoes must be wider than average, and their inner volume must be much bigger than shoes for skinny persons.
Some shoe manufacturers pay attention to the stability of the foot inside the shoe; this is most important when an overweight person who tries to lose weight needs to walk few miles a day to keep the metabolism up and burn some fat.
Here are Reviews for to the top walking shoes preferred by overweight men & women;
We hope you love the products we recommend!
Just so you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Running Shoes for Overweight1
Heavy Duty Running & Walking Shoes
The Asics Gel Cumulus is designed in a fashion that provides stability and support to the wearer, and it is one of the best-selling Asics shoes.
- Extra protective gel cushioning in the mid-sole area combined with an Impact Guidance System (IGS) helps to maintain a natural gait.
- This shoe has lots of room for your toes, as it has various wide width sizes.
- Available at affordable prices, one can buy a pair till size 15.
- Most overweight users rate these shoes quite high on all parameters: comfort, design, and durability.
- The Asics Gel Cumulus is a much-recommended walking & running shoe for overweight people on account of the excellent gel cushioning.
- An option of wide-width sizes provides enough room and comfort for your toes.
- This shoe is also equipped with a high abrasion outsole, which is best suits people with normal to flat feet arch.
Overweight and Flat Feet Running Shoe
This shoe is designed for heavy people who have flat feet and tend to overpronate.
- The New Balance 1540 has symmetrical ROLLBAR technology for the ultimate in both lateral and medial rear foot stability.
- It’s lightweight upper constructed with mesh for breathability and a synthetic complement for stability and structure.
- They will provide extra support and comfort to all your activities.
- These shoes are known for their ground-gripping blown rubber outsole for added traction.
- Dual-density collar foam adds an excellent feel, while traditional lacing closure allows a precise fit.
- A wider sole is providing a more stable base and motion control.
- Mesh sides are comfortable for people who supper from bunions.
- This shoe is good for running and walking.
Heavy Weight Running Shoes
The Saucony Guide is a light and flexible shoe designed for the mild to over-pronator who requires extra cushioning and improved stability in a running shoe.
- The uppers are manufactured from breathable mesh with supportive synthetic overlays.
- A padded tongue and collar offer a more snug and comfortable fit, and the seamless, flexible feel lining ensures excellent moisture management.
- A Comfortride open-cell foam sock liner provides cushioned and breathable underfoot comfort along with antimicrobial properties.
- The EVERUN Topsole for continuous cushioning provides excellent protection for overweight runners or walkers.
- A streamlined midsole design optimizes the rebound and provided lightweight durability.
Walking Shoes for Overweight4
Walking Shoes for Overweight Walkers
Solid colors and nice looking this shoe may be eligible for Medicare reimbursement.
We found this shoe to be one of the best walking shoes for diabetics.
- This is unarguably a great walking shoe for overweight men and women.
- It comes with motion control, which helps in stabilizing the gait of someone who is bulky, thereby improving the way the person walks.
- The fact that this shoe comes in different width sizes means that most overweight people will be able to find the right fit.
- It has soft and durable, breathable upper linings made of leather that provides premium comfort quality.
- It is embedded with a thick heel wedge and ensures that you have a stable and robust foot base.
- It includes thermoplastic urethane posting mechanics that are intended to control excessive rearfoot movements.
- It is built with a rubber outsole that gives a better grip and maximum traction.
- Quite a pricey shoe, but it offers real value for money in that it is incredibly comfortable, yet long-lasting.
- Features like the ABZORB patented painted mid-foot cushioning and odorless treatment makes it daily wear, 9 to 5 kind of shoe.
- Using its ABZORB cushioning technology, it can help overweight people to cushion the weight impact on their foot.
Velcro Overweight Walking Shoes
This shoe effectively takes care of the swollen feet that usually a lot of overweight people suffer from.
- A tempered steel shank provides the necessary arch support for big people.
- These Shoes are one of the Best Shoes for Standing All Day
- Heel stabilizers and built-in heel cushion pad make these are preferred fat people’s shoes.
- Two hook-and-loop Velcro straps for a relaxed and adjustable fit.
- A very wide width selection of up to 6E (Men) makes the difference for large feet.
Lightweight Overpronation Walking Shoe
- This shoe is manufactured from breathable and lightweight cotton.
- Its elastane with a Lightning Dry moisture-wicking lining to reduce foot fatigue and keep your feet dry and fresh.
- The ABZORB cushioning and Ortholite foam insert provide lightweight support and comfort.
- A Rollbar stability system ensures that you do not pronate excessively.
- A durable rubber outsole with Ndurance rubber compounds on all the high-wear areas of the outsole.
Orthopedic Fitness Shoe for Over Weight People
Stylish design and quality build meet unbelievable comfort feel.
- Designed as a therapeutic shoe, provide many protective and comfort features.
- This shoe can carry heavy people standing on their feet all day long by utilizing a rubber sole that delivers an excellent grip and traction.
- Patented biomechanical features work to change the loads naturally across the knee, helping to relieve pain and slow the progression of osteoarthritis.
- Flex-OA footwear is clinically proven to reduce the load on the knees by 20% on average.
- Specially designed Flexure Zones in the outsole of Flex-OA shoes are strategically placed to allow the normal motion to occur.
- The Ortho-Cushion™ System allows natural movement, barefoot-like movement, graceful movement, and natural flexibility movement that typically lost with modern footwear.
- The effect is a measured and proven reduction in load on your legs and feet.
- This shoe is very comfortable from the outset while still have a ridged stable feeling.
Training Shoes for Heavy People with Long Wide Feet
These training shoes are designed to host the really biggest feet and are available in sizes and widths from 4E Wide and Up to Size 20.
- It is built from durable materials, with special attention to the injection-molded EVA midsole.
- Available in various large sizes – up to size 20.
- The widest shoe that is available in the market – up to the width of 4E.
Dress Shoes for Overweight9
Orthopedic Dress Shoes for Overweight
These shoes are very graceful looking and, at the same time, extremely well designed.
- Not only will they help an overweight person improve his gait, but it also makes his walk exceedingly smooth.
- These could, in fact, be comfortably worn for miles and miles, and they will be none the worse for wear.
- Various sizes width and added depth for comfort fit.
- Removable insoles that can be used to customize the fit.
- A leather and mesh affair, it comes with an energy plate for efficient motion and helps conserve energy.
- Most buyers of the Propet Commuterlite Walking Shoe reported going for a second and third repeat purchase.
Best Clogs for Overweight
- These are excellent shoes for heavyweight men who stands on his feet for long hours.
- These are among the preferred shoes of workers in a hospital as they walk and stand most of the time while on the job.
- The high toe box provides a lot of room to accommodate even the largest foot.
- The rocker bottom design of the outsole allows for a natural stride during active days spent on your feet, without any fatigue.
- This shoe is designed with a smooth leather upper, a contoured leather insole, and a shock-absorbent rubber outsole.
Trail Shoes for Overweight11
Trail & Outdoor Walking Shoes
A tough and comfortable trail shoe for the outdoors, with excellent cushioned support.
- Uppers: Breathable and comfortable synthetic.
- Shock Absorption: Achieved via the Gel Cushioning System.
- Outsole: A durable lug outsole that is perfect for running and walking on rough terrain.
- Insoles: Removable insoles to accommodates your own orthotics.
- Zise & Width: Up to size 15 and Width up to 4E (Extra Extra Wide).
Trail Running and Walking Shoe
The New Balance 690 is a trail running and walking shoe for off-road adventures with a supportive and cushioned IMEVA midsole and an all-terrain outsole.
- The fabric and synthetic uppers provide a comfortable and breathable fit with a gusseted tongue.
- An Injected molded EVA midsole offers luxurious underfoot cushioning and support.
- Speed tide technology ensures the best performance and support.
- An AT Tread rubber all-terrain outsole will give you an improved grip on slippery and uneven terrain.
- This shoe is available in different colors to choose from.
Sandals for Overweight13
Soft Footbed Sandals for Overweight
- Hand-made Leather Sandal, this leather has a soft, napped finish and feels great on the skin.
- The soles are made from rubber, providing better traction and better shock absorbent.
- A cork midsole and contoured footbed are designed overtime to take the shape of your underfoot and thus provide better support, stability, and comfort.
- It is designed to support the specific requirements of heavy people without compromising on the look.
- Adjusting the two straps, you can accommodate a very thick foot inside.
- This sandal has great arch support, deep heel cup, and a wide toe box.
Wide Velcro Sandals
A true extra-wide and extra-depth velcro walking sandals.
- Velcro closure for easy reach and adjustment.
- Uppers: Genuine soft leather.
- Outsole: Polyurethane provides cushioning, traction, durability, and walking comfort.
Best Work Shoes for Overweight15
Comfort Office Work Shoes for Flat Feet
The Orthofeet Work Shoe is a comfortable and orthopedic support shoe that is ideal for working on your feet all day.
- Boasts a professional and formal style.
- The sole is cushioned and supportive with a Gel heel.
- Thick rubber outsole for shock absorbency.
- Roomy toe box and comfortable upper design.
Overpronation Dress Shoe
From Rockport, we have a supportive and comfortable dress shoe, which is perfect as a work shoe for a heavier individual.
- Soft and supple leather uppers in a classy and professional style.
- A cushioned and arch supportive footbed.
- EVA midsole and insole for cushioning and shock absorbency.
- High traction rubber outsole.
Industrail work Boots for Overweight Men and Women
The Keen Utility Santa Fe and San Antonia are Industrial and construction work boots that can handle a bit of extra weight.
- Completely waterproof and breathable uppers.
- A lugged high grip and slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- Inside is a breathable leather lining and cushioned insole.
- Offers Cleansport NXT natural odor protection against germs and odors.
Reasons Why You Keep Gaining Weight
It can be quite frustrating seeing the extra pounds on the scale or not being able to wear a pair of trousers or jeans that you knew used to fit.
But did you know that there are a few other factors that could be making you gain weight?
Whether it is hormonal or the side effects of chronic medication too many times, we put the blame on ourselves when in fact, the cause of our weight gain is from factors that may justify the help of a doctor.
Here are a few health issues that could be the cause of your weight gain;
The medication that you use for depression could gradually cause you to gain weight that accumulates over a few years. Depression in itself can correlate to weight gain. A person that feels depressed and lonely has a tendency to eat more high-fat and high-calorie foods typically called comfort foods to make themselves feel better.
There is a huge list of medications that can cuase you to gain weight;
- Birth Control Pills
- Excess Hormones from Hormone therapy
- Blood Pressure and Anti-seizure meds.
- Breast Cancer Medication
- Artritis Treatments
- heartburn Medication
- Migraine Medication.
Some medications affect your appetite, while others affect your metabolism. If you suspect that your medication is affecting your weight, it is well-advised to consult your doctor for alternative medication or treatments.
Many digestive issues, including slower bowel movements, can cause you to gain unnecessary weight. If your bowel movements are not regular enough, then you might be dehydrated, have low fiber intake, or be lacking good flora in your digestive system. Certain medications can also affect your metabolism and reduce bowel movements.
Always make sure to stay well hydrated, eat fiber-rich foods, and try probiotics to keep you healthy and regular.
If you are lacking magnesium or iron or having a vitamin D deficiency, your immune system may be compromised, and your energy levels lowered, which can also alter your metabolism. You may also find that you are trying to compensate for your low energy by consuming more sugar, caffeine, and carbohydrates. Eating food that is rich in iron and magnesium and making sure that you get adequate sunlight exposure will help to cure these deficiencies.
Unfortunately, this is the one factor that is completely unavoidable. As you get older, your metabolism slows down, and you need less food and more exercise to keep a healthy weight. Carbohydrates are burnt much slower by your body and stored more readily as fat. Therefore getting more exercise and following a healthy balanced diet is much more important as you get older.
Musculoskeletal conditions such as Plantar fasciitis, osteoarthritis, and knee or hip pain could also cause weight gain because these conditions force you to cut down on activity. Modifying your exercise routine and taking part in swimming and other exercises will help to prevent weight gain when you suffer from these conditions.
Cushing’s Syndrome occurs when your body is not producing enough nutrients due to a cortisol-producing tumor that is present on one of your adrenal glands, causing weight gain, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, and changes in skin tone.
Cushing’s Syndrome is a very rare condition, and usually, you will only gain weight in your midsection while your arms and legs stay slender with this condition.
You can consult your doctor and request a few tests if you suspect that you are suffering from Cushing’s Syndrome.
Classic Clog Easy Slip-In
We had to finish with this shoe as many overweight have difficulty reaching their feet to close their laces, this shoe offers an easy slip-in for your feet.
- This is a classic clog with a grippy non-slip outsole.
- It comes with a massaging footbed.
- This Clog has enhanced arch support.
- Optional back strap for better fit.
Accessories for Reaching Shoes and Socks for Overweight Men and Women
Being overweight may impede your ability to do certain tasks, of which one of the most common is to reach your feet in order to put socks on or to tie up shoelaces.
Many overweight individuals, however, would still like to wear a lace-up shoe rather than the slip-on and prefer to use socks, even if it is challenging to manage to put them on and off.
Luckily there are many ways and means, as well as helpful accessories for this task;
- Long Handled Shoe Horn – This is a device that you use to put your shoes on and take them off, it has a long handle and hook at the end which helps you to hook and pull your shoes on and off.
Elastic Laces – Elastic Laces are your best option in shoelaces when you cannot reach your shoes. They allow you to lace up and tie your laces in a permanent position, and because of their elasticity, you can put your shoes on and off without having to untie your laces.
Sock Aids – This is a device that is placed inside your socks, and has two long elastic grips which you hold. You place your foot inside the sock with the device holding it open and pull on the strings with grips to pull the sock up and then just slide the device out.
Reviews: The Best Sock and Shoe Aids
Here are a few Sock aids and shoe aids that help you easily put on shoes and socks without having to bend down.
As in our discussion, the Sockslider is a device that helps you to put on all types of socks easily and without having to bend down.
- Easily and quickly put on and take off your socks.
- Ideal for users with mobility limitations, injuries, and who are pregnant or overweight.
- Durable and versatile design.
- Compact and easy to store with a handle that can also be used as a shoehorn.
The Hickies Tie Free Lace System is ideal for individuals who cannot reach or tie their shoelaces and comes in a large range of colors to choose from.
- A synthetic lace that requires no tying.
- Each pack contains 14 lace-up straps.
- Available in many color selections.
- Customizable by strap fit.
One of the most popular shoe and sock dressing aids is, of course, the Shoe Horn, and this one from Shacke has an extra-long handle and easy-grip design.
- It is made from durable synthetic materials.
- Extra-long handle and easy-grip design.
- Assists in mobility issues with putting on and taking off shoes and socks.
- Made from Pro-High tech plastic for long term use.
Summary Table: Accessories for Overweight Men & Women
|1||Allstar Innovations Unisex SockSlider - Sock Aid for Overweight Persons||Allstar Innovations||98|
|2||Hickies Unisex Tie Free - No Tie Laces||Hickies||96|
|3||Shacke 's Extra Long - Shoe Horn||Shacke||98|
Summary Table: Shoes for Overweight Men & Women
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Asics® - Heavy Duty Running & Walking Shoes||Asics||97|
|2||New Balance® - Overweight and Flat Feet Running Shoe||New Balance||96|
|3||Saucony® - Heavy Weight Running Shoes||Saucony||97|
|4||New Balance® - Walking Shoes for Overweight Walkers||New Balance||97|
|5||Drew® - Velcro Overweight Walking Shoes||Drew||94|
|6||New Balance® - Lightweight Overpronation Walking Shoe||New Balance||96|
|7||Vionic® - Orthopedic Fitness Shoe for Over Weight People||Vionic||97|
|8||New Balance® - Training Shoes for Heavy People with Long Wide Feet||New Balance||94|
|9||Propet® - Orthopedic Dress Shoes for Overweight||Propet||94|
|10||Dansko® - Best Clogs for Overweight||Dansko||97|
|11||Asics® - Trail & Outdoor Walking Shoes||Asics||97|
|12||New Balance® - Trail Running and Walking Shoe||New Balance||95|
|13||Birkenstock® - Soft Footbed Sandals for Overweight||Birkenstock||96|
|14||Propet® - Wide Velcro Sandals||Propet||97|
|15||Orthofeet® - Comfort Office Work Shoes for Flat Feet||Orthofeet||95|
|16||Rockport® - Overpronation Dress Shoe||Rockport||96|
|17||Keen Utilitry® - Industrail work Boots for Overweight Men and Women||Keen Utilitry||97|
|18||Crocs® - Classic Clog Easy Slip-In||Crocs||98.4|
Enjoy the fresh air and blood pumping experience of walking with one of the above fantastic options of walking, running, dress and casual shoes and sandals.
Stay fit and healthy without any pain or discomfort as these shoes are sure to keep your feet well supported and cushioned.
Table of Contents
- Being Overweight Affect Your Feet & Body
- Footwear and Exercise for Overweight Person
- What to Look for in a Shoe for a Heavy Person
- Running Shoes for Overweight
- Walking Shoes for Overweight
- Walking Shoes for Overweight Walkers
- Velcro Overweight Walking Shoes
- Lightweight Overpronation Walking Shoe
- Orthopedic Fitness Shoe for Over Weight People
- Training Shoes for Heavy People with Long Wide Feet
- Dress Shoes for Overweight
- Trail Shoes for Overweight
- Sandals for Overweight
- Best Work Shoes for Overweight
- Reasons Why You Keep Gaining Weight
- Accessories for Reaching Shoes and Socks for Overweight Men and Women
- Reviews: The Best Sock and Shoe Aids
- Summary Table: Accessories for Overweight Men & Women
- Summary Table: Shoes for Overweight Men & Women