Arthritis can cause pain and damage to the joints in your feet, resulting in sore and swollen feet.
It becomes a debilitating condition for many people, and the movement of even a few steps also becomes very hard.
Wearing the appropriate shoes to protect your feet and relieve pain and discomfort is crucial when you have Arthritis.
The best shoes for Arthritis, arthritic feet, and ankles will provide you with proper support and comfort to alleviate the pain and symptoms associated with this condition.
Types of Arthritis
Arthritis is classified into two types, Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis: This condition is where the immune system malfunctions and leads to swelling of the body’s various parts. It could also impact vital organs like the kidney, liver, and heart.
Osteoarthritis: This is more common and is caused by wear and tear of the joints and ligaments. It progresses with age and causes problems in movements and hampers daily living too.
Benefits of Shoes for Arthritic Feet
Since Arthritis affects the joints of the body, it is a condition that is particularly severe to our feet since it has many joints. Hence, the feet could get swollen, and you can’t just wear ordinary shoes as it would be a harrowing experience.
Under the above circumstances, it is better to go in for special shoes made for arthritis patients.
- 1. They assist in providing a cushion and support to the inflamed joints in the feet.
- 2. They help in better movement of the knees and other joints.
- 3. They distribute the weight correctly and do not put a lot of pressure on the heels.
- 4. They assist in accommodating the swelling, which often is associated with Arthritis.
Features of a Good Shoe for Arthritis
There are a few features that you should consider when looking for the most comfortable and supportive shoes for Arthritis;
- Sole – Always look for a wider sole and wider heel as narrow soles and heels do not provide stability and add to joint stress and pain. Look for a shoe with a firm counter, which is the part of the shoe that wraps around the heel. A firm counter will provide better support and stability.
- Fit – The shoe should provide a firm fit from the arch or mid-foot to the back of the heel with a roomier forefoot area. You want the least pressure on your toes and forefoot when you walk but still have a stable and snug fit.
- Heel – A substantial and continuous heel found in most athletic shoes is more desirable to prevent the arch from collapsing. Make sure there is a steel shank in a dress shoe when the shoe has a heel block.
- Adjustability – A lace-up athletic dress shoe or Oxford-style shoe is always your best option because you can adjust it for firmness and support.
- Support – Even the best shoe for Arthritis may not always be the best shoe; to make sure your shoe provides the best support, opt for custom-made arch support or general arch support orthotic device.
How We Test and Score Shoes for Arthritic Feet
These reviews are based on intense research, analysis, and feedback from our experts and real users from different digital platforms.
We spent 34 hours trying, testing, and scoring these Shoes for Arthritic Feet, for different key parameters and then shortlisted the best products in the market, saving you time and effort.
We used the following parameters for our tests and analysis.
- Pain-Relief – We checked how extremely effective the socks are at solving an extent of foot problems, including plantar fasciitis.
- Padding – We measured the thickness of the padding on the shoes.
- Breathability – We checked if the fabric of the shoes is breathable or whether it causes any sweating.
- Loose Fit – We ensured that the socks are not too tight on your feet.
- Comfort – We checked how the shoes were comfortable and safe when used.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Shoes for Arthritic Feet and Ankles
- Does wearing shoes help with arthritis?
Wearing shoes can help aid arthritis not only foot pain but also knee, ankle and hip discomfort. Running shoes, in general, are advantageous due to their small weight. For individuals with arthritis-related foot damage, the right shoes can bring much-needed relief and frequently enhance function.
- Is walking barefoot good for arthritis in the feet?
Going barefoot at home can help if you have osteoarthritis (OA) in your knees or hips. The amount of stress on your knee and hip joints might be increased by wearing shoes. When compared to walking in shoes, walking barefoot can lessen the pressure on these joints by 12 to 15%.
- How do you stop arthritis from progressing?
To stop arthritis from progressing, we recommend you to take a combination of medicine, therapy, and lifestyle changes to reduce or stop the course of arthritis. Methotrexate and other disease-modifying anti-rheumatic medications (DMARDs) can help delay the course of certain kinds of arthritis.
- Is cushion shoes good for Arthritic Feet and Ankles?
Cushion shoes are good for arthritic feet and ankles as it provides the most significant qualities of a shoe which are the cushion and arch support; this will lessen the impact pressures and provide stability to the foot.
Reviews: Best Shoes and Insoles for Arthritic Feet
Over the next few lines, we will have a look at a few brands of shoes that we could categorize as some of the best shoes for Arthritis, and we are sure it will go a long way in helping those who have Arthritis to make the right choice;
We hope you love the shoes for arthritic feet and ankles we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Running Shoes for Arthritic Feet1
Top Rated Running Shoe for Arthritis
- The uppers are made from a fabric combined with synthetic material; this shoe is extremely comfortable and supple when worn for long periods.
- Particular care has been taken to shape these shoe contours, used by those suffering from moderate to severe Arthritis.
- It comes with a medial-side window for enhanced fit and comfort, which helps keep the feet compact and tight without putting any pressure on the feet’ thumbs and joints.
- It easily accommodates wide or swollen feet, which is essential for those who have Arthritis. It, therefore, does away with the need to have larger shoes to take care of inflamed feet.
- Variety of colors and sizes available.
- Reduce inflammation.
- Very comfortable.
- It may have too much artificial arch support.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
Arthritis Running Shoes
- Extra width – up to 6E, giving you the best possibility to customize this shoe to fit precisely to your feet.
- It comes with a Symmetrical ROLLBAR technology for optimum foot stability.
- The lightweight uppers are constructed with mesh for breathability and moisture-wicking.
- Dual-density collar foam allows a precise fit with a soft touch.
- Mesh sides for people who have an unusual foot structure.
- Reduce pain.
- Improves ventilation.
- Free from odors.
- Limited style only.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
Wider Width Running Shoe for Arthritis Symptoms
- The soft, breathable textile and synthetic uppers have a superior fit.
- A padded tongue and collar, along with the Gel cushioning, ensure luxurious comfort.
- The removable sock liner allows you to use your own orthotic devices.
- The glossy finishing and reflective colors allow you to use this shoe at night.
- Variety of colors and sizes available.
- Moisture management.
- High quality.
- Fit is a bit tight for some users.
|Rating Category||Weight %||Score|
Walking Shoes for Arthritic Feet4
Therapeutic Athletic Shoes for Arthritis
- The lightweight and seamless construction give a more comfortable fit.
- Heel support and a soft rubber sole with a rigid shank for best arch support.
- It comes with a reinforced counter for the best stability and support.
- Available in a triple width system with two removable spacer insoles to customize width.
- Available in different patterns, colors, sizes, and widths.
Adjustable Walking Shoe for Arthritis
- The shoe is made of pure leather, which is very soft and supple. Hence, it is very comfortable for those who have Arthritis.
- The synthetic sole is very light and does not put too much pressure on the feet. Therefore, it is ideal for all those looking for a unique shoe for Arthritis.
- Another important feature is that the shaft of the shoe measures around 2 inches from the arch. This makes it very comfortable for those who suffer from heel problems and inflamed toes and fingers.
- It comes with a cushioned collar that absorbs pressure while walking.
- The entire shoe is very lightweight without compromising on the required features for those who have Arthritis.
Walking and Running Shoe for Arthritis
- The upper consists of lightweight and breathable mesh and synthetic leather for structure.
- The insole is soft and cushioned with an ABZORB injection-molded Midsole for optimal shock absorbency.
- The shoe has a wide and comfortable fit and is available in wider width selections from which you can choose.
- There are also a few color options for your perusal.
Arthritis Running and Walking Shoe
- The uppers comprise synthetic overlays with mesh inserts for breathability.
- The shoe is available in many color options from which you can choose.
- For comfort, there is a moisture-managing Cysuhioned Ortholite sock liner.
- There is a shock-absorbing Speva Foam and Flyte Foam technology Midsole and a stability Impact Guidance Trusstic system.
- A durable rubber outsole offers exceptional traction and grip.
Dress Shoes for Arthritic Feet8
Slip On Arthritis Shoes
- It is manufactured from high-quality supple leather and does not exert pressure on the feet.
- Therefore, the sole is human-made and is perfectly chiseled, taking into account the particular needs of those who have Arthritis. It is a primary reason as to why it is counted as a good shoe for Arthritis.
- A lower heel is ideally suited for walking. It is all the more suited for those who have Arthritis.
- It comes with Zero-G features, making the shoe very light without compromising the bottoms, soles, and inners’ quality.
- It is also very suave with a sophisticated look and combines the best ergonomics and performance.
- Those who suffer from severely swollen ankles and feet find this brand very useful. It would certainly avoid the need to buy shoes that are larger than the required size.
- The shoes fit well even if the ankles are swollen because of the leather’s flexible nature and soles’ quality.
Velcro Dress Shoes for Arthritis
- It is made from high-class leather, and these shoes are very soft and supple. As a result, they do not hurt the toes or any other parts of the feet, which is a common problem for Arthritis.
- The sole is made from high-quality synthetic material and is entirely handmade. Therefore, the contours and shapes have been designed perfectly, keeping Arthritis patients’ specific needs and requirements.
- The shoe’s heel is just around 1.25 inches and, therefore, does not put too much pressure on the center of the feet and toes, ideally suited for those with Arthritis.
- These shoes are also highly recommended shoes for those suffering from diabetic feet. Hence, it is a dual-purpose shoe.
- These shoes are very lightweight and fit extremely well, even for those who have wide feet. It avoids the need to go in for bigger-sized shoes, especially for those suffering from finger pain and inflammation.
Arthritis Traveling Dress Shoe
- It is made from very soft pure leather; the uppers are very soft and will not exert pressure on your toes and the ball of the feet.
- The synthetic sole is another important aspect that needs to be considered as far as this shoe is concerned. It is beneficial for a better grip, which favors customers who have Arthritis.
- It has an advanced ergonomics structure, which makes it a perfect shoe for those who have Arthritis.
- It is extremely lightweight, which is also vital for those suffering from an arthritic foot.
- It comes with a padded tongue and collar, which provides that extra layer of protection to your ankles.
Dress Shoes for Artritic Feet
- A New Balance’s patented ABZORB cushioning helps distribute weight across your feet, making it one of the best shoes for arthritic feet.
- Stylish yet classic-designed shoes crafted from highly polished leather.
- These shoes come with a removable cushioned insole.
- The combination of the full-grain leather upper with the rubber outsole makes these shoes very comfortable work shoes.
- There are many widths to choose from and up to 4E – which is the highest width available in shoes; for women, they offer 2A width, perfect for very narrow feet.
Arthritis Dress Shoe
- These are two-cause classics with an easy slip-on design.
- What I love about them is the elastic gore inset so that the fit is more adaptable.
- There is Clodstepper cushioned technology and an Orthilite moisture-managing footbed.
- The rubber outsole is durable and also absorbs shock.
Sandals for Arthritic Feet13
Sandals for Arthritis
- Leather uppers with adjustable straps for the most comfortable fit.
- Lightweight and breathable for all-day comfort.
- The orthotic footbed and deeper heel cup provide stability, support, and comfort.
- A durable Vibram outsole with wave patterns ensures that you stay well-grounded on slippery and uneven surfaces.
- The modern Orthaheel technology provides excellent orthotic support.
Outdoor Sandals for Arthritis
- Keen Newport H2 features a razor-zipped outsole with 3mm lugs for the best traction you can get on different terrains.
- The uppers have washable polyester webbing with an Aegis Microbe Shield to keep your feet free from odor and infection.
- The keen patented toe offers toe protection against bumps and scrapes on different terrains.
- A comfortable and supportive footbed will prevent toe, heel, or foot pain and keep you comfortable all day.
- A large color variety is available.
Boots for Arthritic Feet15
Boots for Arthritis
- A comfortable and supportive Orthopedic Boot.
- The insole is cushioned and contoured for optimal support and arch support.
- There are layers of cushioning and support.
- The sole is made from durable rubber.
- You can find these models wider with options.
Slippers for Arthritic Feet16
Orthotic Arthritis Slippers
- Soft and supple leather uppers.
- A contoured orthotic insole with anatomical arch support and a gel-padded heel seat to keep your feet warm and comfortable.
- The lightweight sole promotes a smooth gait, and air cushioning softens every step.
- A non-binding design for less friction and irritation.
- Extra-depth and a wider toe box to accommodate foot conditions and provide more toe room.
Insoles for Arthritic Feet17
Orthotic Insoles for Arthritic Knee & Feet
- By absorbing the impact with every step, they are clinically proven to relieve osteoarthritis pain in the knees, feet, and hips.
- If you are an active senior with knee, hip, and foot problems, You’ll find the Arthritis Pain Relief Orthotics extremely helpful.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Arthritis
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Asics® - Top Rated Running Shoe for Arthritis||Gel Nimbus 23||Gel Nimbus 23||Asics||98.3|
|2||New Balance® - Arthritis Running Shoes||M1540v3||W1540v3||New Balance||96|
|3||Asics® - Wider Width Running Shoe for Arthritis Symptoms||Gel Contend 7||Gel Contend 7||Asics||96|
|4||Orthofeet® - Therapeutic Athletic Shoes for Arthritis||Proven||Coral||Orthofeet||97|
|5||New Balance® - Adjustable Walking Shoe for Arthritis||MW577 Velcro||WW577 Velcro||New Balance||95|
|6||New Balance® - Walking and Running Shoe for Arthritis||680V6||680V6||New Balance||98|
|7||Asics® - Arthritis Running and Walking Shoe||Gel Cumulus 23||Gel Cumulus 23||Asics||97|
|8||Hush Puppies® - Slip On Arthritis Shoes||Gil||Jennica||Hush Puppies||96|
|9||Orthofeet® - Velcro Dress Shoes for Arthritis||Broadway||Wichita||Orthofeet||94|
|10||Rockport® - Arthritis Traveling Dress Shoe||World Tour||Pearl||Rockport||95|
|11||Dunham® - Dress Shoes for Artritic Feet||Burlington||Hope||Dunham||95|
|12||Clarks® - Arthritis Dress Shoe||Sillian||Tunsil||Clarks||97|
|13||Vionic® - Sandals for Arthritis||Neil||Amber||Vionic||96|
|14||Keen® - Outdoor Sandals for Arthritis||Newport H2||Newport H2||Keen||95|
|15||Orthofeet® - Boots for Arthritis||Highline||Milan||Orthofeet||96|
|16||Orthofeet® - Orthotic Arthritis Slippers||Asheville||Charlotte||Orthofeet||95|
|17||Dr. Scholl's® - Orthotic Insoles for Arthritic Knee & Feet||Arthritis Pain Relief||Arthritis Pain Relief||Dr. Scholl's||94|
Importance of Arthritis Appropriate Shoes
As you can see, pain and swelling from Arthritis can worsen with the wrong footwear; you also risk further damaging your joints, which are already affected by Arthritis.
The right footwear will not only provide relief but will also protect your feet against further damage and aggravation.
Table of Contents
- Types of Arthritis
- Benefits of Shoes for Arthritic Feet
- Features of a Good Shoe for Arthritis
- How We Test and Score Shoes for Arthritic Feet
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Shoes for Arthritic Feet and Ankles
- Reviews: Best Shoes and Insoles for Arthritic Feet
- Running Shoes for Arthritic Feet
- Walking Shoes for Arthritic Feet
- Dress Shoes for Arthritic Feet
- Sandals for Arthritic Feet
- Boots for Arthritic Feet
- Slippers for Arthritic Feet
- Insoles for Arthritic Feet
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Arthritis
- Importance of Arthritis Appropriate Shoes