There could be other reasons for this pain: an overuse of muscles, or some form of injury like stress fractures. However the best shoes for shin splints could really help with the healing process, as well as to reduce the symptoms.
Wearing the appropriate shoes can prevent Shin Splints and reduce the symptoms and prevent further damage.
As your shoes are the immediate suspects in causing this pain; We review the Best Corrective Shoes for Shin Splints.
Causes of Shin Splints
Shin Splints and the pain you feel result from excessive force placed on the shinbone and tissues that attach the shin bones to the muscles. This force causes muscles to become swollen, which increases pressure against the bones that lead to pain and inflammation.
A stress reaction to a bone fracture is also one of the leading causes of Shin Splints. Stress fractures are tiny cracks in the leg bones that can be repaired with rest, but a complete breach can develop with constant activity.
Some additional causes of Shin Splints are;
- Foot Conditions – Anatomical abnormalities of the foot or leg.
- Muscle Flexibility and Weakness – Muscle weakness and lack of flexibility, particularly in the thighs or buttocks.
- Activities – Performing training activities using the wrong techniques may cause an injury.
- Floor Surfaces – The extreme force exerted on the shins by running downhill, on a slanted or uneven surface, wearing inappropriate shoes, and participating in sports with fast stops and starts.
Athletes, Military recruits, and Dancers fall under the category of more likely to suffer from Shin Splints because of excessive tension in the muscles and injury risks.
Suggested Treatments for Shin Splints
- Rest – Among the various treatments suggested, resting the feet is often considered the most effective. A few days’ rests would be an excellent idea, but the problem could again recur.
- Ice – There are other treatments suggested, and they include icing the shin area. It has to be done every 20 to 30 minutes for three to four days until the pain subsides.
- Drugs – Another method can be the use of NSAIDs, and OTC painkillers are also recommended, but they should be used sparingly and with caution and discretion.
- Shoes – Using special types of shoes could also be considered a solution to this problem. These could be in the form of shoe inserts. The latter is a better option.
Prevention is Better than Cure
Ensure to give your body enough time to relax after exercise and wear the exercise routine’s appropriate footwear. Shock absorption is vital to prevent stress fractures and Shin Splints, ensuring that your shoes are well cushioned and have a thick sole.
The above-listed shoes are all excellent choices not only to prevent Shin Splints but to relieve pain caused by Shin Splints and aid in the healing process.
Features of a Good Shoe for Shin Splints
- Cushioning – Good Cushioning in the footbed or insole and a shock-absorbing foam or EVA midsole.
- Support – Good stability and heel support. Also, look for arch support for your specific arch type.
- Fit and Uppers – Lightweight and breathable uppers. materials can include leather, textiles, mesh, and synthetic leather with a moisture-wicking lining. Ensure the shoe has a snug and comfortable fit to support the heel and ankles.
- Outsole – Rubber is usually the best option for an outsole as it is durable, absorbs shock, and provides good traction.
Over the next few lines, we will have a look at a few such shoes which, according to experts and customers, are considered to be the best shoes to prevent Shin Splints;
Best Running Shoes for Shin Splints1
Best Running Shoes for Shin Splints
- It is designed to provide support to keep your feet from rolling to the outside.
- It provides enough room for your toes, as it has wide-width sizes.
- Available in different sizes, up to size 15.
- The mid-sole area comes with a protective gel cushioning and impact guidance system to help you maintain your natural gait and distribute the step impact across the entire skeletal bones and muscles.
- The Asics Gel Cumulus also features as one of the best walking shoes for overweight.
OverPronation Running Shoes for Shin Splints
- Breathable mesh and synthetic uppers with a heel clutching system for the perfect fit.
- A ComforDry sock liner absorbs moisture keeping your feet dry and fresh all day.
- The rearfoot and forefoot Gel cushioning absorbs shock and provides cushioned support with less impact on the shins.
- A Fluidride midsole and Guidance Trusstic system for improved movement and better weight distribution during the gait cycle.
- Durable rubber outsole for exceptional traction.
Flat Feet Running Shoes for Shin Splints
- Lightweight and breathable synthetic uppers with mesh inserts.
- A removable comfort insole for added support.
- The rearfoot and forefoot gel cushioning provides excellent shock absorption and cushioning.
- A textured outsole ensures exceptional grip capabilities.
Shin Splint Walking and Running Shoe
- Breathable mesh uppers with Flyknit material and Flywire cables for lightweight support and structure.
- Ther is a plush and soft foamy Midsole for optimal cushioning.
- The newly upgraded technology will deliver a stellar feel when walking or running.
- A long-lasting and shock absorbing thick rubber sole for durable and Flexible Traction.
Running Shoe for Shin Splints
- The perfect running and walking shoe for Shin Splints and Prevent Shin Splints.
- The shoe is available in a few different color options.
- There is a comfortable NB insert for cushioning.
- The Molded EVA midsole with ABZORB technology offers enough shock absorbency.
- The shoe has a 10MM heel drop for stability and a durable rubber outsole.
Best Walking Shoes for Shin Splints6
Walking Shoes for Shin Splints
- It is made from high-quality imported leather.
- The sole is human-made and soft; it makes it suitable for use by those suffering from Shin Splints.
- It has a leather upper, which makes it very delicate and supple.
- It comes with the well-known Vionic Orthoheel supportive technology, which takes the pressure off shins.
- It has been designed by podiatrists and comes with a biomechanical orthotic insole.
- It also has a rubber outsole and EVA midsole.
- Considering the above factors, there is no doubt that these are good shoes for Shin Splints.
Slip On Walking Shoes for Shin Splints
- It is made from a high-quality rubber sole, designed to absorb shock while walking long distances or sprinting.
- It also has a two-layered rubber sole, which makes the shoe very comfortable and cozy.
- It also comes with a removable cushioned insole.
- The insole is specially designed for absorbing shocks that lead to the Shin.
- It also has a molded EVA midsole, absorbing shocks very well.
- The rubber soles also have been designed for absorbing shocks from the users.
Fitness Shoes for Shin Splints
- It is made from leather and synthetic, therefore, offers the best possible comfort.
- The unique rocker bottom rubber soles distribute the weight evenly and across the whole foot gait.
- It comes with cushioned soft fabric lining midsole for absorbing shocks.
- This is certainly a shoe that helps people with Shin Splints.
Shoe for Shin Splints
- The ideal stability shoe for mild to moderate overpronation and Shin Splints.
- Is there good support and cushioning that energizes every step that you take?
- The BioMoGo and DNA Loft cushioning system is ideal for soft comfort and shock absorbency.
- Segmented crash pads in the shoe allow for much smoother running and walking with less impact that can hurt shin splints.
- A soft and secure fit offers further lightweight comfort.
Walking Shoe for Shin Splints
- The Gel-Nimbus offers excellent Heel cushioning, stability, and support, which is ideal for Shin Splints.
- An Ortholite Sockliner helps to manage moisture and offers underfoot cushioning.
- The Guidance Trusstic System Technology with Guidance Line construction gives you a more reliable and stable platform for better gait efficiency and stability on all surfaces.
- There is Flytefoam technology in the midsole for shock absorbency and lightweight cushioning.
- A rubber outsole offers a durable and long-lasting grip and traction.
Best Dress Shoes for Shin Splints11
Classic Dress Shoes for Shin Splints
- Entirely made from leather, this shoe has human-made soles too.
- It is sewn by hand and is very flexible, even for wide feet.
- It comes with fully lined work to provide extra comfort.
- It has a unique removable air insole. The purpose of the insole is to provide additional cushioning and for the absorption of odor and moisture.
- It also has an extended heel, which offers total support throughout the day.
- It also has an outsole that is very light in weight and made from polyurethanes. As a result, it is suitable for better traction and shock absorption.
Shin Splints Dress Shoes
- The heel is extremely well designed as an ideal for all those suffering from Shin Splints.
- It comes with a padded tongue. It also has a collar with linings made from leather.
- It comes with a removal contoured EVA insole having linings made from quality fabrics.
- They go a long way in providing an additional layer of support to the feet. Hence, they are very suitable for Shin Splints.
- Finally, it also has a mesh lining that is soft and moisture-wicking.
- The shoe is very supple and flexible and; therefore, it can also easily accommodate wide feet without the need to go in for a bigger size.
- Considering the above factors, one can safely say that it is a good shoe for Shin Splints.
Best Insoles for Shin Splints13
Insoles for Shin Splints
- These insoles will help to improve your athletic performance.
- Prevent your chance of shin splints with these shock-absorbent insoles.
- These insoles will not slip, provided you choose the correct size.
- Made from a sturdy synthetic base, which will last a long time.
Shin Splints Designed Insoles
- These insoles were designed using a neutral arch, making them ideal for flat feet up to medium arches.
- These insoles were made by podiatrists to support your feet optimally and can be used all day long for athletic or work-related activities.
- These shoe inserts will help keep your feet in place, providing anti-slip support.
- Control the way your foot pronates with these shock-absorbent insoles.
- Ideal for individuals who would like to avoid shin splints and foot pain in general.
Hiking Shoes for Shin Splints15
Breathable Shin Splint Hiking Boot
- Lightweight and breathable suede leather and mesh uppers.
- Complete waterproof construction for the ultimate dry protection.
- A compression-molded EVA midsole for shock absorbency and cushioning.
- A nylon fork shank for stability and multi-directional traction rubber outsole.
- Inside is a compression-resistant anti-bacterial moisture-wicking sock liner.
Shin Splint Hiking Boot
- Complete waterproof and highly durable leather and mesh uppers.
- A protective steel toe cap.
- Thick and slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- Ankle supportive boot design.
- Quick lacing system.
- EVA memory foam supporting and cushioned insole.
- Electrical Hazard safe.
- An ideal hiking boot or even work shoe for industrial environments.
Trail Running and Hiking Shoe
- A thick and stabilizing rubber outsole with a trail-specific, slip-resistant tread.
- It offers an aggressive and durable grip on a variety of surfaces.
- Ensures a precise foothold that is close to your feet and supportive.
- A lightweight and cushioned EVA midsole.
- Minimalistic and strong lace-up system.
Shin Splints Walking and Running Shoe
- The uppers are mesh and synthetic with a Hypoknit breathable design.
- There are likewise wider width options and some color options available.
- There is a Fresh Foam Midsole and a comfortable Nb removable cushioned insert.
- The Outsole is Data-Driven and provides excellent traction and support.
Shin Splints Casual Shoe
- You can get both models in many color options and different width options.
- For comfort, there is an Air Cooled Memory Foam Insole and a cushioned foamy Midsole.
- The thick platform rubber outsole is highly durable and offers excellent traction.
- The uppers are breathable with mesh and synthetic materials.
Running and Walking Shoes for Shin Splints
- The Upper is textile and synthetic for structural integrity and breathability.
- The Downshifter has an articulated full-length midsole for flexible and durable cushioning and a no-sew midfoot saddle for support.
- The rubber outsole has flex grooves for better traction and a smoother experience.
- You can also choose from a few color options in this model.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Shin Splints
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Asics® - Best Running Shoes for Shin Splints||Cumulus 23||Cumulus 23||Asics||98.3|
|2||Asics® - OverPronation Running Shoes for Shin Splints||GT-2000 9||GT-2000 9||Asics||96|
|3||Asics® - Flat Feet Running Shoes for Shin Splints||Gel Kayano 28||Gel Kayano 28||Asics||96|
|4||Nike® - Shin Splint Walking and Running Shoe||Revolution 5||Revolution 5||Nike||95|
|5||New Balance® - Running Shoe for Shin Splints||680V6||680V6||New Balance||98|
|6||Vionic® - Walking Shoes for Shin Splints||Walker||Walker||Vionic||95|
|7||Propet® - Slip On Walking Shoes for Shin Splints||M3851||W3851||Propet||96|
|8||ExerSteps® - Fitness Shoes for Shin Splints||Whirlwind||Brisa||ExerSteps||95|
|9||Brooks® - Shoe for Shin Splints||Ghost 13||Ghost 13||Brooks||98|
|10||Asics® - Walking Shoe for Shin Splints||Gel Nimbus 23||Gel Nimbus 23||Asics||98|
|11||Propet® - Classic Dress Shoes for Shin Splints||Galway||Twilite Walker||Propet||97|
|12||Hush Puppies® - Shin Splints Dress Shoes||H10713||Heaven||Hush Puppies||95|
|13||Superfeet® - Insoles for Shin Splints||Premium Black||Premium Black||Superfeet||96|
|14||Samurai® - Shin Splints Designed Insoles||Instant-Relief||Instant-Relief||Samurai||97|
|15||Hi-Tec® - Breathable Shin Splint Hiking Boot||Logan||Logan||Hi-Tec||98|
|16||Nautilus® - Shin Splint Hiking Boot||Safety Toe||Safety Toe||Nautilus||97|
|17||Salomon® - Trail Running and Hiking Shoe||SpeedCross 5||Speedcross 5||Salomon||98|
|18||New Balance® - Shin Splints Walking and Running Shoe||1080V11||1080V11||New Balance||96.5|
|19||Skechers® - Shin Splints Casual Shoe||Afterburn||D’Lites||Skechers||97.4|
|20||Nike® - Running and Walking Shoes for Shin Splints||Downshifter 10||Downshifter 10||Nike||97.7|
Table of Contents
- Causes of Shin Splints
- Suggested Treatments for Shin Splints
- Prevention is Better than Cure
- Features of a Good Shoe for Shin Splints
- Best Running Shoes for Shin Splints
- Best Walking Shoes for Shin Splints
- Best Dress Shoes for Shin Splints
- Best Insoles for Shin Splints
- Hiking Shoes for Shin Splints
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Shin Splints