Let’s face it, sand is coarse, and rough, and gets in everywhere, not to mention the fact that it is completely unstable and loose underneath your feet.
This said, if you are planning on climbing out a few sand dunes, your choice in footwear is quite important.
Sand Dune Types to Consider
All in all, sand is squishy and loose and gets everywhere, not to mention wet sand.
So let us first consider the two types of sand dunes that you may be facing;
- Beach sand Dunes – Beach sand Dunes through Very similar to Desert sand dunes tend to be less dry and the air around it more moist and humid, you may also be faced with some wet conditions, and it may not get quite as hot.
- Desert Sand Dunes – The Desert However is hot and dry, with winds and dry, coarse sand everywhere, and hardly and moist air or wetness around. Desert Dunes may also have a looser consistency that Beach sand Dunes and be more unforgiving to walk on.
What to Look for In Walking Shoes for Sand Dunes
For walking on Beach Dunes, I would recommend an Aqua Shoe or even a Flip Flop sandal; However, for walking on desert Dunes, I would highly recommend a lightweight Boot.
You want something that offers some grip, such as a rubber sole that is also flexible and LIGHTWEIGHT, if anything Lightweight is the weigh to go as it is already very tiring and challenging to walk on sand dunes.
An Open or closed design shoe is acceptable for Beach Dunes, Whereas a more protective waterproof or sealed boot is recommended for Desert Dunes as the sand here is a bit harsher and hot against the skin.
- Fit – You will need a good and comfortable fit that does not cause friction or squeezes the feet.
- Cushioning – Very little cushioning is required for walking on soft sand dunes alone, and I would recommend a more minimalistic approach here. However, if you are going to be walking on hard desert surfaces and climbing over logs and stones, you may need to consider some cushioning.
- Sand resistant – A liner or gusset in the shoe helps to keep sand out, waterproofing materials are also great to keep sand and wetness out on Beach Dunes, Gore-Tex lining is the most desirable as it is also highly breathable.
- Ankle Support and Stability – Because of the uneven nature of and good stability and ankle support features are required to prevent tension and injuries.
Features of a Good Shoe for Walking on Sand Dunes
- A flexible and lightweight outsole from rubber or crepe with a lug or patterned tread for grip.
- Lightweight and breathable uppers.
- Gore-tex or water-resistant uppers.
- Durable materials and construction.
- Lightweight and comfortable snug fit.
- Smooth interior linings and slightly cushioned insole for comfort.
Reviews: The Best Shoes for Walking on Sand Dunes
Here are the best shoe choices when you want to walk easily without slipping on Sand Dunes;
Shoes for Walking on Sand Dunes
- Soft and supple suede leather uppers with lace-up features.
- A short ankle boot design available in a few neutral color options.
- A durable and lightweight crepe sole.
- The ideal lightweight and cooling boot for walking on sand dunes.
Waterproof Walking on Sand Dunes Shoe
- Soft and comfortable leather uppers available in three neutral color selections.
- The leather uppers are seam sealed and completely waterproof and sand resistant.
- Inside is a UGG Pure wool lining to regulate temperatures.
- A Treadlight UGG outsole for cushioning comfort and high traction.
Shoe for Walking on Sand Dunes
- Available in plenty of fun and colorful prints and color options to choose from as preferred.
- Ideal for wear on the beach, in water, as well as on sand and dunes.
- Very lightweight and quick-drying materials with durable and slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- Non-Slip and easily permeable design.
Shoe for Walking on Sand Dunes
- A thick and slip-resistant rubber outsole with a trail-specific tread.
- Lined with Gore-tex which is the most breathable a durable waterproof lining you will find.
- Leather upper and secure lace-up system.
- Inside is a removable textile lined padded insole with a slow-reacting foam layer for added comfort.
- There are a full-length Nylon stabilizer and PU layer for underfoot control and [rotection.
- The Vibram Masai outsole is durable and self-cleaning with deep lugs.
Walking on Sand Dunes Aqua Shoe
- Extremely lightweight and flexible with a water-resistant and sand resistant quick drying upper.
- A flexible rubber sole that offers exceptional grip, especially on loose sand.
- Ideal for wet and dry terrains and very breathable and cooling.
- Also compressible for easy packing and portability.
Shoe for Walking on Sand Dunes
- Soft and lightweight leather upper that molds to the shape of your feet.
- A thin and flexible outsole made from lightweight crepe for a more barefoot experience.
- Protects you against hot sand and elements and keeps your feet cool and comfortable.
- Available in a few neutral colors that you can choose form.
Lightweight Slip On Walking Shoes for Sand Dunes
- The Jungle Moc has leather uppers with an M Select Dry Breathable waterproof lining.
- Inside are an EVA Compression-Molded Footframe and comfortable insole.
- There is also an Aegis treated lining to prevent odors and bacteria.
- The Jungle Moc further features a durable and highly slip-resistant rubber outsole and a very lightweight fit.
Outdoor and Sand Dune Walking Shoes
- The uppers are breathable and synthetic, offering a lightweight fit.
- There is a Gore-Tex waterproof interior lining, which will also prevent sand from entering the shoe while remaining breathable.
- A TPU film and a Molded Collar provides support and a comfortable fit.
- There is also an EVA cushioned comfort footbed and a durable rubber outsole.
Walking on Sand Dune Shoes
- The Upper provides lightweight protection and breathability with synthetic and mesh materials.
- The rubber outsole and protective toe cap are durable and hard-wearing.
- There is an EVA Midsole and a molded sock liner for comfort.
- Continmental rubber is used for the outsole.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Walking on Sand Dunes
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Clarks® - Shoes for Walking on Sand Dunes||Dessert Boot||Desert Boot||Clarks||96|
|2||UGG® - Waterproof Walking on Sand Dunes Shoe||Neumel||Neumel||UGG||98|
|3||WateLves® - Shoe for Walking on Sand Dunes||Aqua||Aqua||WateLves||97|
|4||Lowa® - Shoe for Walking on Sand Dunes||Tibet||Tibet||Lowa||98|
|5||WateLves® - Walking on Sand Dunes Aqua Shoe||Lightweight||Lightweight||WateLves||96|
|6||Clarks® - Shoe for Walking on Sand Dunes||Bushacre||Phenia||Clarks||98|
|7||Merrell® - Lightweight Slip On Walking Shoes for Sand Dunes||Jungle Moc Light||Jungle Moc Light||Merrell||96.5|
|8||Under Armour® - Outdoor and Sand Dune Walking Shoes||Bandit||Bandit||Under Armour||96.5|
|9||Adidas® - Walking on Sand Dune Shoes||Terrex AX#||Terrex AX3||Adidas||96|
Table of Contents
- Sand Dune Types to Consider
- What to Look for In Walking Shoes for Sand Dunes
- Features of a Good Shoe for Walking on Sand Dunes
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for Walking on Sand Dunes
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Walking on Sand Dunes