Icy floors can pose a serious slip and fall risk that is extremely hazardous and can lead to severe injuries.
Having a pair of slip-resistant shoes with a tread and outsole designed specifically for wet and slippery surfaces can make a huge difference and protect you against these hazards.
Slippery and Icy Surfaces
When you spill water or any form of liquid on a tiled, plastic, or even concrete floor surface, it immediately becomes extremely slippery and dangerous. Even just a smooth, hard floor itself can be quite slippery if you are wearing shoes that offer no-slip resistance.
Besides these hazardous surfaces, an icy floor surface, no matter if it is concrete, pavement or tile is most likely these most dangerous and slippery surface you can walk on, or try to walk on for that matter.
However, if the need arises and you have to walk or stand on an icy surface, you will need to take much caution, and most definitely have specialized shoes, as you are almost certain to slip an fall, and fall quite hard.
Here are a few steps you can take to help you walk on an icy surface;
- Salt The Area – You have most likely read a few times that sprinkling salt on an iced surface can help to make it less slippery. This works because the salt actually melts the ice, and creates a more liquid, and thus safer, yet still slippery area for you to walk or stand on.
Keep Your Balance – If you have to walk on a slippery surface and iced surface, make sure to try and keep perfect balance with every step that you take. The slippery icy surface is going to challenge your balance, almost like ice skating for the first time, so you will need to make sure you have your balance before taking the next step.
Slow and Easy – Slow and easy movement and walking on any iced or even just slippery surface is key. Move slowly and take every step securely, never be in a rush when the floors are slippery; this is the fastest and hardest that you will fall!!!.
Hold on For Dear Life – If there is something you can hold on to when walking on the ice, by all means, use it! This will help you to keep your balance, and if you do fall, it can break the fall a bit.
What to Look for in a Shoe for Icy Surfaces
- Outsole – The first and most important characteristic for a shoe for icy pavements and iced or snow surfaces is to look for an ice and snow traction outsole. A Vibram Rubber outsole for starts offers the best grip and durability but will need additional features for grip such as a molded lug tread, arctic grip technology, or gaiter hooks. Carbide Tip Studs on the outsole additionally also helps to increase traction on icy surfaces. An aero-track Vulcanized rubber outsole is likewise something you could look for superior durability and high traction.
Insulation – insulation in cold weather conditions can help to keep your feet from freezing and keep them comfortable. Most likely, if you are walking on ice or iced pavements, it will be cold to very cold. There are many different types and varieties of insulation. You can opt for Thinuskate insulation from about 200grams and up if it is colder. Fleece or sheep wool lined shoes will also provide excellent warmth and insulation.
Stability and Support – Because icy surfaces are so slippery in general, they can play havoc on your balance, even when you have proper grip in your shoes. Stability features such as a contoured footbed and motion control or a heel cup are not only great for comfort and support but will likewise help you keep your balance on slippery floors and pavements.
Durability – Durability in any shoes that needs to provide good grip, and that on wet and icy surfaces is a must. Good quality materials that will function properly are ideal and quality robust construction a must.
Waterproofing – Any good snow or ice boot and sho will be waterproof. Ice melts and can cause wetness, which in turn can cause irritation, infection, and even frostbite in cold conditions. Therefore good waterproofing is necessary for a shoe that is to be used on wet or icy surfaces. Your most breathable and best waterproofing option is, of course, Gore-Tex as it is breathable, durable, and completely waterproof; however, there are other waterproofing materials that are similarly good, such as rubber and waterproof leathers.
Features of a Good Shoe for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
- A waterproof membrane, your best option is Gore-Tex.
- A Rubber Outsole with a Tread for ice and icy pavements, such as a Vibram Arctic Grip Outsole, or Molded Lug pattern.
- Insulation against the cold.
- Breathable design to prevent sweating.
- Secure fit, lace-up, or Velcro straps.
- Stability Chassis or features and a Contagrip outsole.
- Molded Heel and Gaiter Hook for deeper snow.
- BUgrip outsole with Carbide Tip Studs.
Reviews: The Best Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
Below are some of the best shoes with excellent slip resistance properties and charactaristics for walking one iced surfaces;
Extreme Cold Snow Boots for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
The Sorel Glacier is a winter snow boot for very extreme cold and snow or icy conditions that will provide you with an excellent grip on icy surfaces as well as insulation and waterproofing against the cold and wet conditions.
- Fabric and synthetic uppers with a 13 mm sorel meltdown midsole.
- Waterproof and PU coated as well as wind resistant.
- A full length insulated snow boot with a drawstring at the entrance to keep cold out.
- Vulcanized rubber outsole and shell with aero-trac non-loading design.
Rubber Boots for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
The Muckboot Arctic Ice Sport Boot is the perfect Tall Rubber Boot for working in wet and icy conditions, with all the comfort and protection characteristics and features that you will need for an icy, cold, and wet working environment, in a durable work boot.
- Flexible and waterproof 3 mm neoprene uppers.
- An EVA contoured and cushioned molded midsole and thermal foam underfoot footbed.
- Insulated and completely waterproof.
- Features a slip-resistant rugged molded lug rubber outsole.
Stylish Boots for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
From Columbia, we have two fashionable and stylish boots for those cold winters, with Arctic Omni-Grip outsoles, ideal for walking on slippery and icy surfaces.
- Leather and textile uppers with waterproof seam sealed construction.
- There are 200 grams of insulation for warmth and a comfortable techlite midsole for cushioning.
- A slip resistant Omni-Grip non-marking rubber outsole.
Columbia Ice Maiden
- Leather and textile uppers with a feminine design available in a few color options.
- Techlite lightweight cushioned midsole and superior energy-returning cushioned insole.
- A durable and slip-resistant Omni-Grip non-marking outsole made from robust rubber.
- Insulated for warmth.
Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
Something for less extreme cold conditions, the Merrell Ice Pack Walking shoes are ideal for those thin films of wet ice on your pavements and slippery and wet floors and surfaces.
Merrel Coldpack for Men
- Available in 2 color options with leather and textile uppers.
- 200 grams of M select insulation for lightweight warmth and comfort and a cushioned insole.
- An Arctic Grip Vibram rubber outsole for superb slip resistance.
Merrel Coldpack for Women
- Synthetic leather uppers and a shock-absorbing molded EVA midsole.
- Kinetic Ft Base and a removable and contoured supportive insole.
- M-Select ICE outsole, for high traction on icy and wet surfaces.
Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
A short and comfortable ankle bootie for men and women with all the comfort features of a casual walking shoe, as well as an outsole and tread with a robust and highly slip-resistant design, aimed at wet and iced pavements and floor surfaces.
- Split Grain leather uppers with Protec PU protection.
- A Hydrophobic Polyester interior lining, and short nap fleece for breathability and warmth.
- EVA midsole with an ESS stabilizer for improved stability and shock absorbency.
- A BUGrip rubber outsole, Perfect for wet and icy surfaces.
- The baseline trim is abrasion-resistant for long-lasting durability.
Shoes for ice Pavements and Ice Walking
The Merrell Jungle Moc is an excellent choice in slip-resistant lightweight shoes for walking on icy surfaces.
- The slip-on light design is easy to slip on and off.
- There are leather uppers and a comfortable cushioned insole.
- Elastic gore allows for easy on and off, and there is a fully waterproof lining.
- The rubber sole has a lug and slip-resistant design for wet and icy surfaces.
Ice and Icy Pavement Walking Shoe
The Saucony Peregrine Ice is explicitly designed for walking and running on icy surfaces.
- The Upper is a soft and comfortable synthetic and mesh material for breathability.
- Inside are a Powerfoam midsole and an Everun topsole to keep your feet dry and cushioned.
- The uppers are also water-resistant and reinforced for durability.
- The Vibram Advanaced Rubber Outsole has an Arctic Grip design and technology for grip on Icy surfaces and frozen pavements.
Shoe for Icy Pavement and Ice Walking
From Northface we have the Chilkat. An Ice boot that offers superb slip resistance.
- There are many color options available in both the men’s and women’s Chilkat model.
- There are Ballistic Nylon Uppers that are Waterproof and durable.
- Inside is an insulating layer with Dri-Fleece and a cushioned footbed and EVA midsole for shock absorbency.
- The outsole is a TNF Winter Grip rubber for better slip resistance.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Sorel® - Extreme Cold Snow Boots for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements||Sorel||97|
|2||Muckboot® - Rubber Boots for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements||Muckboot||98|
|3||Columbia® - Stylish Boots for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements||Columbia||98|
|4||Merrell® - Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements||Merrell||96|
|5||IceBug® - Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements||IceBug||99|
|6||Merrell® - Shoes for ice Pavements and Ice Walking||Merrell||97|
|7||Saucony® - Ice and Icy Pavement Walking Shoe||Saucony||96.7|
|8||The North Face® - Shoe for Icy Pavement and Ice Walking||The North Face||96.8|
Table of Contents
- Slippery and Icy Surfaces
- What to Look for in a Shoe for Icy Surfaces
- Features of a Good Shoe for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
- Extreme Cold Snow Boots for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
- Rubber Boots for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
- Stylish Boots for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
- Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
- Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements
- Shoes for ice Pavements and Ice Walking
- Ice and Icy Pavement Walking Shoe
- Shoe for Icy Pavement and Ice Walking
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Walking on Ice and Icy Pavements