Playing basketball, whether it is a pickup game, or even at a pro level, some or other time, you may suffer a bad ankle sprain or even an ankle break. There is just nowhere around it. Basketball is a game that places much strain on your ankles.
That is why it is so important to wear ranch shoes when playing basketball. Most Basketball shoes are designed with a high, low, or med top that supports your angles and keeps them stable, especially during lateral movements.
In this article, we will be looking especially at basketball shoes that offer much better ankle support.
Why You Need Ankle Support
Ankle injuries are by far, the most popular basketball injury. Did you know that 42.9% of high school basket players will have injured their angles during their basketball season? Once a basketball player has suffered an ankle injury, they are all actually five times more likely to have a reoccurrence of their ankle injury in the future. Ankle injuries or rated so high in basketball that it is wise to take precautions to help prevent ankle injuries and to help to lessen the severity of ankle injuries in basketball players.
One of your best defenses against an ankle injury when playing basketball is most likely wearing the right top of shoes. Now, many individuals will recommend the high-top basketball shoe over the lower-top with your argument that it offers better ankle support. However, there is much evidence to show that most low-top or mid-top basketball shoes can be just as stabilizing for your ankle and just as supportive as their high-top brothers.
Choosing Basketball Shoes
Here are a few tips to help you choose the perfect basketball shoes to protect your ankles;
- High Top – Even though the high-top and mid-top basketball shoes may be more. more restraining or restrictive of certain movements they do eventually offer the best ankle support and stability because they wrap around your ankle. If you have very weak ankles, or if you have suffered an ankle injury before or are on the mend, then I would suggest to rather opt for a hard-top basketball shoe to just be assured that you are getting the best protection.
- Lock Down Fit – Whether you are choosing a high, low, or mid-top basketball shoe, it is important to choose a shoe that has tough and durable uppers that have a good lock-down fit to keep your feet in place and stable. Your basketball shoes need to offer a more tight and snug fit and the upper materials need to be strong enough to hold your feet, even with very aggressive movements. The shoe should offer a secure lockdown, and fit on your feet to help prevent unnecessary side-to-side movements, which can cause an ankle injury.
- Lateral Outrigger – The lateral outrigger refers to the extension of the outsole on the lateral size that will increase the width of the shoe to provide additional stability. Because your basketball shoe has a broader base that outrigger makes it mechanically more difficult for your shoes to roll during a hot cut or crossover. This in turn helps to protect your ankles and prevent ankle sprains.
Features of a Good Basketball Shoe for Ankle Support
- Uppers – Most Basketball shoes have leather or mesh uppers with overlays to offer a more locked-down fit and a foam or padded collar for comfort and support.
- Type – You can choose from a High Top, Medium top, or Low-cut top design basketball shoe.
- Cushioning – Basketball shoes have proper midsole cushioning for ample shock absorbency and also a comfortable well-padded insole.
- Outsole – Most basketball shoes have a low cut or flatter outsole that offers good traction and stability.
Reviews: The Best Ankle Support Basketball Shoes
In our review section, you will find some of the best available basketball shoes that provide good ankle support;
- The LeBron line will be ideal for ankle support and cushioning.
- There will be a Nike Zoom Air unit for proper cushioning and impact absorption.
- The uppers are lightweight and comfortable with a supportive locked-down fit.
- The shoe offers solid support and ankle support with a mid-top design.
- The Nike Jordan Jumpman is a comfortable and supportive basketball shoe for your ankles.
- It has leather uppers and a mid-top design for ankle support and allowing you more freedom of movement.
- The shoe has a Nike Zoom cushioning unit, and Phylon foam for comfort,
- It has a durable rubber outsole for good traction.
- The Under Armour Embiid is a comfortable and supportive basketball shoe from this brand.
- They have more of a high-top design that wraps around your ankles for comfortable support.
- There is a durable rubber sole and lightweight textile and mesh uppers.
- The TPU wings provide good midfoot lockdown and enhance lateral stability.
- There is a Die-Cut EVA sock liner for comfort and cushioning.
- From the peak, we have a high-top basketball shoe for ankle support.
- The shoe has a seamless design for comfort.
- It has a high-traction rubber outsole that is upgraded and wear resistant.
- There is a stabilization module on the outside of the forefoot to support lateral movements.
- The Jordan is a Grungy-styled basketball shoe that is lightweight and durable.
- It has a higher top and provides ample ankle protection.
- The outsole gives a remarkable court feel with a multi-surface grip.
- It has protective rearfoot sections and a flexible forefoot section.
- The Adidas Hoops is a comfortable fit basketball shoe for ankle support/
- It has synthetic leather uppers and a very cushioned and padded feel for comfort and support.
- There is a moisture-wicking textile lining to keep your feet dry.
- The EVA midsole provides stable shock absorbency.
- It has a lower cut, yet still provides good ankle support.
Index Table: Top Rated Ankle Support Basketball Shoes
|1||Nike Men's LeBron 19 - Ankle Support Basketball Shoe||Nike||98|
|2||Nike Men's Jordan Jumpman - Ankle Support Basketball Shoe||Nike||97.9|
|3||Under Armour Men's Embiid 1 - Ankle Support Basketball Shoe||Under Armour||97.7|
|4||Peak Men's Lou Williams - Basketball Shoe for Ankle Support||Peak||96.7|
|5||Nike Women's Jordan 6 - Ankle Support Basketball Shoe||Nike||97|
|6||Adidas Women's Hoops 3.0 - Basketball Shoe with Ankle Support||Adidas||96.5|
Table of Contents
- Why You Need Ankle Support
- Choosing Basketball Shoes
- Features of a Good Basketball Shoe for Ankle Support
- Reviews: The Best Ankle Support Basketball Shoes
- Nike® Men's LeBron 19 Ankle Support Basketball Shoe
- Nike® Men's Jordan Jumpman Ankle Support Basketball Shoe
- Under Armour® Men's Embiid 1 Ankle Support Basketball Shoe
- Peak® Men's Lou Williams Basketball Shoe for Ankle Support
- Nike® Women's Jordan 6 Ankle Support Basketball Shoe
- Adidas® Women's Hoops 3.0 Basketball Shoe with Ankle Support
- Index Table: Top Rated Ankle Support Basketball Shoes