As we age there are so many changes to our feet and our bodies. Regular shoes may not offer the comfort and support they used to, and may also not be the most ideal fit.
Though the thought of Orthopedic shoes may come as something clumpy and old-fashioned looking, there are so many Orthopedic style dress shoes that are fashionable and comfortable for the elderly.
Everyone needs a comfortable pair of dress shoes to wear for more formal occasions and events, even if you are still working.
The best dress shoes for the elderly offer a more accommodating and suitable fit, with added comfort and support features to make up for the lack of support and cushioning your feet may have as you age.
Issues with Our Feet as We Age
Before we get into the best dress shoes for the elderly, you are a few common issues that most elderly persons have with their feet.
- Foot Deformities and Swelling – First of all, we start with foot deformities. Now, foot deformities can mean many things. Anything from arthritis, bunions, and hammertoes to maldeveloped and aligned bones, or Bumps on your feet, can count as a foot deformity. Secondly swelling many individuals suffer from swollen feet, especially the elderly, which can cause their feet to become wider and larger, which, in case I will need a more accommodating shoe. bunions and other foot issues also mean that you will need a shoe with more flexible and accommodating uppers.
- Less Padding – As we age we lose muscle tone and fat padding in our feet which means there is not much natural cushioning for hard impact as we walk or stand.
- Flat or Weakened Arches – Along with aging, wear and tear, and even strain from certain activities the arches of our feet can become weakened and even flatten or collapse completely. The main purpose of the arches of your feet is to evenly distribute weight and impact and to support your feet in proper alignment. Without the natural arch support, there may be harder impact n the heels, ball of the foot, and sides of the feet, as well as balance issues.
- Instability – Many elderly individuals do struggle with keeping their balance and therefore need shoes that offer much better traction and stability to help with balance. Not to mention slips and falls that could be very severe for an elderly person, in which case a high traction shoe will be needed.
- Fragile Skin – Our skin loses elasticity and fat as we age, making it thinner and much more fragile making the skin prone to chafing and blisters. Friction from shoes could easily cause blisters and chafing for an elderly person.
Choosing Shoes in General for and Elderly Person
Besides just dress shoes for the elderly. They are a few characteristics that you need to look for in all of their footwear throughout their lives. From the foot issues and conditions that I have mentioned above, which most elderly people may be familiar with one or more of them, we want to look at footwear that caters to all the foot issues, and conditions that come with age.
Firstly, for an elderly person, you need to consider shoes that have a more accommodating and wide fit, especially shoes of which you can adjust the fit for people that have to feed their team to swallow, or that have issues such as bunions and hammertoes. It would help if you also thought about the fact that it may be difficult for an elderly person to bend down and tie laces, or to use their hands to tie laces, so it is always advised to look at shoes for elderly persons that have an easy Velcro, a hook and loop, or a slip on closure style.
If anything shoes for a senior need to have much more. Food and support features, which means layers and layers of soft cushioning and shock absorbing cushioning, and a more anatomically shaped footbed, which supports the arch of the foot, and also provides good stability.
As seniors are more prone to slips and fall, you will also need to look at shoes that offer good slip resistance. I always advise that you look at a shoe with a slightly thicker rubber outsole
You also need to consider the fact that many elderly individuals where certain orthotic devices, such as insoles or braces, to help with foot problems inside these shoes. So for this reason, you can also consider a shoe that has removable layers, or an extra depth design, to accommodate orthotic devices.
Features of a Good Dress Shoe for The Elderly
- Uppers – Dress shoes for seniors may have leather, nubuck leather, suede, or synthetic leather uppers that are usually lined with a seamless design, and have a more padded collar. They may have a roomy toe box and wider width or extra depth design to accommodate orthotics and foot conditions.
- Comfort and Support Features – The dress shoes will have a more contoured or anatomical-shaped footbed to provide good arch support and heel stability. There will be a cushioned insole, and shock-absorbing midsole, Foams such as EVA and memory foam can be used.
- Outsole – Durable rubber with a high traction tread for slip resistance, is desirable in a good dress shoe for the elderly.
- Options – We have tried to choose dress shoes that offer wider width fits and extended sizes. They may also have more colors available.
Reviews: The Best Dress Shoes for The Elderly
In our review list, we have some of the best available shoe models that are ideal for elderly individuals;
- The Orthofeet Gramercy has accommodating fit and extra comfort features for seniors.
- It has an extra depth design and removable layers allowing you the use f your orthotics.
- The shoes have good cushioning and arch support with an Orthopedic footbed.
- There is a durable and slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- The Vionic Khai is easier for seniors to slip on and off their feet.
- They are smart casual dress shoes for all occasions.
- The shoe has leather uppers and a comfortable fit.
- There is a podiatrist design footbed with arch support, stability, and cushioning features.
- The rubber outsole provides excellent grip.
- From Clarks, we have an Oxford-style dress shoe for a secure fit.
- They are available in wider widths and have a more relaxed fit.
- There is a removable cushioned insole that allows you the use your orthotics.
- The shoes have Cushion soft technology and an OrthoLite sheet.
- The Bowery boots offer better ankle stability for seniors.
- They are soft suede leather with an EVA footbed and rubber outsole.
- The shoes ate APMA certified and have a podiatrist design footbed.
- They are stylish and comfortable for seniors.
- The Burlesque Loafer from Hush Puppies is ideal for older ladies.
- It has leather uppers and a breathable lining.
- There is a comfortable EVA Footbed with a breathable sock liner.
- The molded rubber outsole ensures better traction and is very durable.
- The Orthofeet Chelsea is an easy slip-on and off shoe for senior ladies.
- They have an extra wide and depth design and allow for orthotics.
- The shoes have layered cushioning and good stability, and support features.
- They are likewise available in more colors.
- The Gramercy is an Orthopedic Mary jane style dress shoe for ladies.
- The shoes have a wide toe box and extra depth design,
- They have pillowy soft cushioning, and good arch support with light stability.
- There is a durable and high-traction rubber outsole.
Index Table: Top Rated Dress Shoes for The Elderly
|1||Orthofeet Men's Gramercy - Dress Shoes for the Elderly||Orthofeet||98|
|2||Vionic Men's Khai - Slip On Dress Shoes for the Elderly||Vionic||97.9|
|3||Clarks Men's Cotrell Edge - Oxford Dress Shoes for The Elderly||Clarks||97.7|
|4||Vionic Men's Bowery - Dress Chukka Boots for the Elderly||Vionic||96.5|
|5||Hush Puppies Women's Burlesque - Dress Shoes for The Elderly||Hush Puppies||97.3|
|6||Orthofeet Women's Chelsea - Dress Shoes for The Elderly||Orthofeet||97.5|
|7||Orthofeet Women's Celina - Dress Shoes for The Elderly||Orthofeet||97|
Table of Contents
- Issues with Our Feet as We Age
- Choosing Shoes in General for and Elderly Person
- Features of a Good Dress Shoe for The Elderly
- Reviews: The Best Dress Shoes for The Elderly
- Orthofeet® Men's Gramercy Dress Shoes for the Elderly
- Vionic® Men's Khai Slip On Dress Shoes for the Elderly
- Clarks® Men's Cotrell Edge Oxford Dress Shoes for The Elderly
- Vionic® Men's Bowery Dress Chukka Boots for the Elderly
- Hush Puppies® Women's Burlesque Dress Shoes for The Elderly
- Orthofeet® Women's Chelsea Dress Shoes for The Elderly
- Orthofeet® Women's Celina Dress Shoes for The Elderly
- Index Table: Top Rated Dress Shoes for The Elderly