If you are someone who enjoys walking or running outdoors whether, on a gravel road or wet terrain, you will most certainly benefit from a good pair of trail walking shoes. Hiking, Adventure walking or just jogging outside a pair of trail walkers is the answer for you.
Trail Walking Shoe vs. Hiking Shoe
A Hiking shoe is a heavy shoe with a thick sole that provides ample protection against punctures and also has a higher ankle to ensure ankle stability and protection. The Trail running or walking shoe is much more lightweight and has a less thick sole, therefore, they do not provide as much protection as a hiking boot, and they also do not provide ankle support or stability.
Where a Hiking shoe only needs to be replaced every 1000 miles, a trail walking shoe will need to be replaced every 500 miles. A trail walking shoe is not as tough or meant for heavy duty off trails walking, whereas a hiking shoe can be used for more harsh conditions.
A Hiking boot tends to be heavy and offers a snug fit with less room for movement, while your trail walking shoe is more lightweight and flexible offering your feet much more freedom as well as better ventilation.
A hiking boot can become quite warm and is less breathable than a trail walking shoe meaning your feet may sweat. A trail walking shoe is more suitable for warmer weather, whereas a hiking shoe does better in cooler climates.
Trail walking shoes are not meant for heavy duty walking in harsh or freezing conditions; they are more suitable to less tough terrain and warmer weather.
Most Hiking boots are completely waterproof although some may get wet when fully submerged in water because of the water seeping and, and they take very long to dry. Not all Trail walking shoes made to be waterproof, but they will dry very fast when wet because of their lightweight and breathable construction.
Where a Hiking Shoe or boot may take some time to be broken in because of its construction, the lightweight and flexible Trail walking shoe needs almost no break in time.
Anatomy of a Good Trail Shoe
The availability of new age material means that you don’t have to wear heavy trail shoes anymore, just pay attention to the following:
- Arch supportive midsole that stabilizes the foot.
- Flexible construction to support foot movement on varying terrains.
- Waterproof or water repelling since you may encounter wet or muddy places.
- Lightweight and breathable.
- Must offer excellent shock absorption
- Perfect grip non-slip outsole.
Top Hiking & Trail Walking Shoes Reviews
Here is a look at some of the best hiking and trail walking shoes you might want to consider:
Stretch Trail Shoe
This is a very modern and sporty looking pair of shoes and comes in four very attractive colors that go very well with a mountainous terrain.
- Made entirely from leather with a Vibram sole this shoe comes with a Lycra neoprene stretch collar that makes wearing and taking off the shoes a breeze.
- The elastic cord and lock lacing system make it quite safe in a tricky situation with no margins left for error.
- It also uses breathable mesh lining wicks to keep the feet dry, and M Select FRESH ensures there is no odor.
- Hikers love these shoes as they find them as light as loafers, and this makes the task of climbing a lot less tiring.
- This is a shoe from a well-known brand, and it is quite comfortable to wear.
- It has an elegant design, and there is a fabric lining on the inside, for more comfort.
- The mesh upper is breathable, to ensure that the feet stay fresh all day long, this makes it as one of the best shoes to travel with.
- The construction ensures that the shoe will not be sweaty or too hot.
- It is waterproof enough to allow you to walk freely on the terrains.
Mid-Cut Waterproof Boot
This shoe has been designed along with the E-Energy, which ensures that you enjoy walking, without having any fatigue on your feet.
- Heavily cushioned to ensure that the user feels comfortable when walking in them.
- Made from high-quality top-notch leather.
- It has a flexible and lightweight rubber sole.
- Utilizing the RollBar technology delivers a great motion control which makes these shoes very stable.
- It is one of the trail walking shoes you would want to buy.
- It has been designed with elegance and comfort.
- It has the suede leather material, the lining is moisture wicking, and the outsole has an excellent grip.
Trail Walking Shoe
This shoe has been designed to offer flexibility, comfort, and quality to the wearer.
- They are incredibly light some of the most comfortable shoes you’ll ever have.
- They have a synthetic sole and the material used genuine leather that enhances its durability.
- You can use this shoe in several terrains on the trails since it has an incredible grip to keep the contact with the ground.
- It is also lightweight and absorbs shock entirely so that the user will enjoy the comfort and elegance of the shoe.
- It will also take the perfect shape of the foot. The tongue and collar have been padded which assures the wearers of total comfort and flexibility.
Trail Running Shoes
Here’s a short list of the features that makes this shoe such a great one for trail hiking:
- Many Width sizes to choose from: medium and up to extra-extra-wide (4E); in all sizes.
- Supportive stability web in the midfoot.
- “ABZORB” shock-absorbing is cushioning technology, provide exceptional cushioning and durability.
- C-CAP compression molded EVA midsole for flexible cushioning.
- Padded tongue and collar; all contribute to stability and a sense of security when walking.
- This shoe is one of our choices of the most comfortable walking shoes.
Great Trail Hike Shoes
A great looking trail walking and hiking shoes that come in several attractive colors that gel with a rugged environment.
- Leather and mesh, combined with a Vibram sole and a bellow tongue to keep the debris out while climbing makes it an ideal shoe to wear on a hike.
- The air cushion heels provide it stability and also protect from shocks.
- This shoe also comes in different wide width selection.
- A very popular shoe indeed and people don’t just wear it just for a hike.
- It is designed with comfort, flexibility, and elegance.
- What’s more about these shoes is that they are super light, weighing only 2.2 pounds.
- Hikers will enjoy its stability and comfort. It is made with high-quality material that makes it durable and able to withstand the rugged terrains.
- The shoe has a GEL cushioning, along with an upper that fits comfortably, ensuring that you feel comfortable all along.
Trail Running Shoes
The ASICS GEL-Venture 5 is a great cheap choice trail running and walking shoe.
- It provides the great fit and everyday comfort.
- It comes with wide width sizes and up to size 15.
- It provides stability and support to the wearer, and it is one of the best sellers of Asics.
- Price range on this shoe is a great bargain.
- Most trail runners users rate these shoes quite high on all parameters: comfort, design, grip, and durability.
- Trail-specific outsole with reversed traction lugs, with Rearfoot GEL Cushioning and a rugged outsole ideal for a variety of terrains.
Multifunctional Hiking Boots
The Salomon Hiking Boots are dated back since 1947 in the heart of the French Alps and the birthplace of modern alpinism, this company has a tradition and knowledge of manufacturing the best trail hiking shoes in the market.
- The X Ultra boot is fashionable in look, yet, made from durable materials.
- It has injected EVA foam midsole and CONTRAGRIP traction outsole.
- It is water-resistant using a fabric technology called GORE-TEX waterproof lining.
- It is well reported that this boot is going a half size smaller – so please take this into account.
- Made out of durable materials, these hiking boots will last you for a long time.
- They are very comfortable for walking & hiking, plus they have a roomy toe box.
Light Hiking Boot
These distinctly casual looking shoes are made of canvas and come with a manmade sole.
- Available in nearly a dozen colors its shaft measures about 5.5” from the arch with respectively the heel and platform measuring 1” and 0.5.”
- Quite stylish and good looking this coming together of a combat boot with high top sneaker makes it possible to put it to use in daily life as well; apart from hiking.
Long Distance Hiking Shoes
A really great looking hiking shoe that comes in existing Dark Earth and Chilli Pepper colors.
- This leather creation comes with a Vibram sole and is quite light at only 2 lb and 4oz.
- Most people find this a most comfortable pair of hiking shoes.
- This shoe has a wider toe box to accommodate natural foot expansion that happens during long trail walking.
Water proof Hiking Shoes
These trail shoes come in breathable mesh textile combination that looks nice and stylish.
- They had a non-marking rubber sole and molded EVA midsole.
- A construction bellows tongue and an abrasion resistant toe cap make it ideal for going up and down an undulating terrain.
- It’s quite popular with serious hikers and apparently holds its own very well in conditions of ice and snow.
Waterproof Hiking Shoe
So Comfortable and lightweight that you can wear all day.
- It is made from leather materials and breathable mesh lining treated with M-Select-FRESH to enhance the inner air circulation.
- The durable Vibram sole offers the best of grip and comfort on uneven terrain.
- Provides the best absorption system for drying out sweat and a Uni-Fly system.
- Its inner lining is treated for odor control.
- It is low-cut, so you can even run with it very comfortably.
Zero Drop Trail Running Shoe
The Altra Lone Peak in my personal choice for trail running, walking and hiking.
- This shoe was designed to tackle the rockiest, rugged mountains and the most challenging terrain.
- Dual-layer EVA midsole with A-Bound top layer fully cushioned combined with Zero Drop outsole.
- TrailClaw outsole combines unique uphill and downhill lug traction for every trail condition.
- This shoe has anatomical FootShape toe box.
- These are the new improvements to the excellent, previous version of this shoe:
- Redesigned Upper
- Improved Lacing System
- Lighter Weight
- Improved upper durability
- Slightly firmer midsole
Waterproof Trail Running Shoes
Comparison Table for Trail Walking Shoes
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Merrell® - Stretch Trail Shoe||Merrell||96|
|2||New Balance® - Mid-Cut Waterproof Boot||New Balance||95|
|3||Vasque® - Trail Walking Shoe||Vasque||94|
|4||New Balance® - Trail Running Shoes||New Balance||95|
|5||Merrell® - Great Trail Hike Shoes||Merrell||97|
|6||Asics® - Trail Running Shoes||Asics||95|
|7||Salomon® - Multifunctional Hiking Boots||Salomon||97|
|8||Palladium® - Light Hiking Boot||Palladium||93|
|9||Vasque® - Long Distance Hiking Shoes||Vasque||93|
|10||Keen® - Water proof Hiking Shoes||Keen||94|
|11||Merrell® - Waterproof Hiking Shoe||Merrell||95|
|12||Altra® - Zero Drop Trail Running Shoe||Altra||98|
|13||Salomon® - Waterproof Trail Running Shoes||Salomon||97|
Table of Contents
- Trail Walking Shoe vs. Hiking Shoe
- Anatomy of a Good Trail Shoe
- Top Hiking & Trail Walking Shoes Reviews
- Stretch Trail Shoe
- Mid-Cut Waterproof Boot
- Trail Walking Shoe
- Trail Running Shoes
- Great Trail Hike Shoes
- Trail Running Shoes
- Multifunctional Hiking Boots
- Light Hiking Boot
- Long Distance Hiking Shoes
- Water proof Hiking Shoes
- Waterproof Hiking Shoe
- Zero Drop Trail Running Shoe
- Waterproof Trail Running Shoes
- Comparison Table for Trail Walking Shoes