One of the most dangerous and hazardous jobs in the entire construction industry is, of course, roof work. Working at such a height means that a slip and fall can be very severe or even lethal.
To protect roofers against this main factor, among other discomforts and hazards, a good roofing boot or shoe is required. For the most important feature, GRIP and slip resistance should be y.
Roof work and The Dangers Involved
There are so many hazards in roof work, here are a few of the main hazards that every roof worker should be made aware of;
- Fall Hazards – Anything from objects obstruction your walk path, holes, loose tiles, wetness, oil, and even unstable ladders can be a fall hazard, so always make sure that you take every safety precaution in this regard.
Electrical Hazards – You may be working with electrical tools and equipment on the rooftop, which may hold electrocution risks. Make sure that all electrical equipment is in a safe working condition and that you use such in a safe manner.
Power Tools – Power Tools are heavy, dangerous and can cause electrical and slip hazards, so make sure anyone using these are qualified to do so and know exactly how to use the specific tool safely.
Hazardsous Substance – Asbestos, dust, paint fumes, and thinners are all hazardous substances used on rooftops, so make sure to wear your gloves and a mask to protect yourself against vapors and liquids that may cause harm.
Extreme Heat – Working on the rooftop means that you are directly in the sun with no shade and protection. Sunburn, as well as heat exhaustion, is the main concern here. Therefore, wear protective gear, sunscreen on your face and make sure to hydrate regularly and time short rest periods in between.
What to Look for in a Shoe for Roof Work
- Outsole – The sole on your roof work shoe is of vital importance as they will protect you against your greatest hazard, slipping and falling. I would recommend rubber or even better Vibram Rubber for the outsole with a lug pattern and design to offer you the best slip resistance and oil resistance if possible.
Misole – A thick cushioned midsole is an excellent advantage, mainly when working on hard roofs on your feet all day. The midsole will provide further protection against puncture hazards, as well as stability and shock absorbency.
Weight – Working on a roof is exhausting and hot in general, so the last thing you need is heavy shoes weighing you down, causing further fatigue. Choose lightweight shoes from lightweight materials.
Uppers – Soft and supple leather uppers or mesh and leather overlays are your best options. You need uppers that are lightweight, flexible, and very breathable, offering a comfortable fit with no friction involved.
Ankle Support – Good ankle support can help when climbing those steep inclines and declines on a roof, and help with stability.
Laces – Beware of your lacing system, so that they do not cause a tripping hazard. Choose a shoe that can lace up securely and safely.
Durability and Quality – Last and most important, your Roofing shoe is there to protect you against severe and fatal injuries, as well as provide you with comfort for your workday. Choose good quality and durability, even if the price tag may be a bit high, as you are investing in your safety and work performance.
Features of a Good Shoe For Roofing
- Durable leather and synthetic uppers, in some models with breathable mesh insets.
- It has a waterproof lining or Gore-Tex waterproof membrane.
- Soft and moisture-wicking interior linings.
- Stability shank.
- Arch support and cushioning for comfort.
- Secure lace-up closure.
- There is a durable and lug rubber outsole that is heat slip and oil resistant.
- Look forward to Goodyear Welt or Cement construction for durability.
- A soft toe, moc toe, or steel protective toe cap.
Reviews: The Best Shoes for Roofing
Here are some of the safest, nost durable and comfortable Roofing Shoes Available today;
Waterproof Roofing Shoes
Durable leather waterproof Roofing shoes from Georgia, the Titan has a safety toe for extra protection and safety.
- Durable leather uppers construction with a TITAN safety protective toe.
- Lightweight with breathable antimicrobial interior linings and uppers from full-grain leather.
- It features a Power Fit, comfort fit system design.
- The rubber outsole has a lug pattern and is slip and oil resistance.
- Waterproof and highly breathable upper design.
Timberland Pro is a top name in industrial-grade work boots, the Direct Attach is extremely tough and durable and ensures superb slip resistance for Roof work.
- Full-grain leather uppers with 200 grams of insulation for warmth in colder weather conditions.
- The protective steel cap in the toe will protect your toes against falling objects.
- The 24/7 comfort system that reduces foot fatigue with arch support and cushioning.
- A lug slip-resistant rubber outsole that is also oil resistant.
Moc Toe Roofing Shoes
The Moc Toe Red Wing Heritage shoe is a stylish and comfortable soft toe work shoe that has all the features required for roof work.
- Soft and supple leather uppers with a contra-stitched moccasin style soft toe.
- The outsole has a layer of soft cushioned crepe for shock absorbency and a high traction lug tread for slip resistance.
- Inside is a comfortable and moisture-wicking lining and cushioned footbed.
- A soft and comfortable work boot that is available in a few neutral color options from which to choose.
Waterproof Roofing Shoes
The Moab Ventilator 2 is a hiking shoe that is waterproof with a high grip slip-resistant outsole, which is perfect for doing roof work as well.
- 100% genuine and durable suede leather and mesh uppers that are lightweight, breathable, and completely waterproof.
- A Closed Cell foam tongue keeps moisture and debris out.
- There is a molded Nylon arch shank for better stability and support.
- The slip resistant and durable Vibram rubber TC5 outsole, has a lug tread for roof work and hiking.
Leather Roofing work Boots
The American Heritage and Softstreet work shoe from Thorogood feature a Max Wear highly slip-resistant and cushioned outsole that is perfect for roof work.
- Soft and comfortable leather uppers.
- It has a Heat resistant design and a protective metatarsal guard.
- Inside is a removable dual-density Ultimate Shock Absorbing insert on a Poron 4000 cushioned insole.
- A slip-resistant single-density polyurethane MAxwear wedge sole, that is also oil and heat resistant.
- A durable and long-lasting quality shoe for roofing and construction work
- The Keen Utility Flint is another superb Roof work shoe for men and women.
- The Keen Utility has a Waterproof leather upper and dual-density molded EVA footbed for shock absorbency.
- The contoured heel lock and the Metataomical design footbed offers excellent stability and support.
- there is also a very durable and high slip resistant Rubber outsole with a lug tread.
Roofing Work Shoe
- The Sublite from Reebok is the Cushioned model from their work range.
- The Sublite work shoe is ideal for roofing and offers comfort and a good grip.
- There is a Memory Tech cushioned footbed in the shoe as well as mesh breathable uppers.
- The outsole on the shoe has a design to provide optimal grip.
- The Sublite also has a protective Alloy toe.
Shoe for Roofing
- The Timberland White Ledge is a hiking design work boot that is ideal for use as a roofing work boot.
- The White Ledge has leather uppers and a boot construction with a lace-up closure.
- The boot comes with a comfortable padded insole and a high grip slip-resistant outsole.
- The Timberland White Ledge Boot is comfortable and protective.
Index Table: Top Rated Roofing Shoes
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Georgia® - Waterproof Roofing Shoes||Georgia||98|
|2||Timberland Pro® - Roofing Shoes||Timberland Pro||96|
|3||Red Wing® - Moc Toe Roofing Shoes||Red Wing||97|
|4||Merrell® - Waterproof Roofing Shoes||Merrell||97|
|5||Thorogood® - Leather Roofing work Boots||Thorogood||98|
|6||Keen® - Roofing Shoes||Keen||96|
|7||Reebok Work® - Roofing Work Shoe||Reebok Work||98|
|8||Timberland® - Shoe for Roofing||Timberland||98|
Table of Contents
- Roof work and The Dangers Involved
- What to Look for in a Shoe for Roof Work
- Features of a Good Shoe For Roofing
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for Roofing
- Waterproof Roofing Shoes
- Roofing Shoes
- Moc Toe Roofing Shoes
- Waterproof Roofing Shoes
- Leather Roofing work Boots
- Roofing Shoes
- Roofing Work Shoe
- Shoe for Roofing
- Index Table: Top Rated Roofing Shoes