Retail workers spend most of their day on their feet, some in more challenging environments than others, depending on the retailer type.
Therefore good footwear that provides comfort and support, including protection against work environment hazards, is vital.
Why You Need Good Shoes for Retail Work
Working in retail means many long hours on your feet, while you are encouraged to do so with a smile on your face.
Standing all day alone can take its toll on your feet, legs, back, and knees, causing aches and pains, and fatigue. Not to mention work environment hazards such as slippery floors, puncture risks, and heavy objects that may fall on your toes, depending on which line of retail you’re are in today.
For these reasons, comfortable, supportive, and protective footwear is a necessity, along with footwear that looks good and professional enough for your work environment.
Choosing the Best Shoes for Retail Work
Here are some tips on choosing the best work shoes for the retail environment;
- Appearance – Depending on the type of retailer that you are working for, you may need more stylish and dressy shoes for a professional environment such as a clothing or jewelry retailer, as an example. However, if you work for an industrial or outdoor retailer, you will need more protective shoes that are more casual in style.
Breathability and Moisture Management – Wet and sweaty feet that are overheated are no fun n a work environment, therefore always look for breathable and lightweight uppers materials and moisture-wicking interior linings.
Comfort – Cushioning in the sole and midsole offers comfort and shock absorbency that is ideal for standing or being active on your feet all day.
Slip Resistance – For any type of retailer, I would strongly suggest both and oil and slip-resistant sole made out of rubber with lug patterns.
Protection – In your more heavy-duty and industrial trade forms protective steel or alloy toe, waterproofing uppers, and a puncture-resistant sole is desirable. Electrical Safe materials in a shoe are advised, especially if you come into contact with many electrical tools and equipment.
Features of a Good Shoe for Retail Workers
- Uppers – Leather, textile or mesh can be used in the construction of the uppers, some upper designs may also have a waterproof lining. An interior moisture-wicking lining prevents excessive moisture build-up and odors.
Comfort – For comfort and EVA padded tongue and collar provides a comfortable fit, whereas a shock-absorbing midsole, and memory foam removable cushioned insole is ideal for cushioning and shock absorbency. Right arch and heel support helps you to keep a proper balance and prevents injuries. A Dri-Lex moisture-wicking lining and Aegis Microbe Shield controls odor and bacteria. There is also the option of a Cushioning insole designed for comfort, with gel cushion at the heel for shock absorption and heel protection, or a Memory Foam Cool Fit and anti-compression insole.
Sole -For the sole rubber is the best option, and you can look at different technologies such as; Slip-Resistant nitrile rubber traction outsoles, slip-resistant Lock Step Outsole, or oil- and slip-resistant non-marking outsoles. Choosing a sole tested with ASTM F1677-96 Mark II standards to meet or Oil-resistance, or that meets SATRA TM63 and TM144 standards is also a right choice.
Protective – Protection features such as a Steel Toe and Alloy Toe, or Nylon shank with ERGO Technology engineered to integrate stability, flexibility along with Electrical Hazard Safe Materials can come n handy.
Options – I have picked different shoe and boot options, some models for industrial and outdoor retail work use, others for more casual environments with fewer hazards, and also for a more formal retail scenario.
Reviews: The Best Shoes for Retail Workers
Here we have listed some of the finest shoe models that you will discover for Retail Workers;
Dressy Shoes for Retail Workers
For retail work in a more formal or professional environment, as well as casual settings, the PTC Oxford from Keen Utility is ideal.
- The synthetic and textile smooth uppers offer ample protection and water resistance.
- The shoe boasts an elegant Oxford lace-up style for a snug and comfortable fit.
- There is a combination of recycled PU, cork, and Memory foam footbed that molds to your fete for adaptable, customized comfort and support.
- The outsole is oil and slip-resistant and meets ASTM standards so that you can work in safety.
- The toe offers light protection against falling objects.
- There is also a stability shank and compression-molded midsole for stability and shock absorbency.
Slip On Shoe for Retail Workers
The Go Walk range from Skechers offers casual, comfortable, and lightweight support ideal for the less hazardous and more relaxed work environments.
- The Uppers consist of textile and mesh materials that offer lightweight breathability.
- There is a comfortable and adaptable memory foam insole.
- You can also rely on the FlexSole lightweight shock absorbing and flexible midsole.
- The Skechers walk range is available in many color selections.
Waterproof Outdoor Retail Work Shoes
The Moab ventilator is a Hiking shoe, but I have chosen it for retail work in a more outdoor or industrial environment.
- For the uppers, there is 100% genuine and durable suede leather and mesh that is lightweight, breathable, and completely waterproof.
- The Closed Cell foam tongue keeps moisture and debris out.
- For stability and support is a molded Nylon arch shank.
- What makes the shoe is the slip resistant and durable Vibram rubber TC5 outsole, with its lug and durable tread.
Slip-On Shoe for Retail Workers
Another superb robust model for all Retail work environments is the Work Jungle from Merrell.
- The uppers consist of leather and mesh materials, and there is a Moc toe for protection.
- The Kinetic fit base offers a contoured footbed with arch support and cushioning.
- Inside the shoe, the breathable fabric linings control moisture and aid in ventilation.
- The shoe model is available in wider width options for every foot type.
Comfortable Shoes for Retail workers
The Skechers for Wor Sure Track Trickel is sturdy and comfortable for every work environment in retail.
- There is a Low cut design in the shoe that offers a custom fit for the wearer.
- Supple leather uppers and a padded tongue and collar for optimal comfort.
- There is a memory foam cushioned removable footbed and a ventilated lining to keep your cool.
- The outsole consists of Nitrile Rubber that is ASTM tested and rated safe and slip-resistant on wet and oily floor surfaces.
Sneaker for Retail Workers
Something a bit more comfortable and casual from DR. Scholls for those less hazardous work environments.
- The shoe has leather and synthetic uppers with a DriLex moisture-wicking lining.
- A cushioned insole provides all-day comfort and cushioning, and there is additional Gel heel cushioning and protection.
- The non-marking rubber outsole also ensures excellent oil and slip resistance.
- In the Inhale model, you will find a memory foam cool fit, anti-compression insole for the ladies.
Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Retail Workers
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Keen Utility® - Dressy Shoes for Retail Workers||Keen Utility||98.2|
|2||Skechers® - Slip On Shoe for Retail Workers||Skechers||97.4|
|3||Merrell® - Waterproof Outdoor Retail Work Shoes||Merrell||97|
|4||Merrell® - Slip-On Shoe for Retail Workers||Merrell||96|
|5||Skechers Work® - Comfortable Shoes for Retail workers||Skechers Work||98|
|6||Dr. Scholl’s® - Sneaker for Retail Workers||Dr. Scholl’s||96|
Table of Contents
- Why You Need Good Shoes for Retail Work
- Choosing the Best Shoes for Retail Work
- Features of a Good Shoe for Retail Workers
- Reviews: The Best Shoes for Retail Workers
- Dressy Shoes for Retail Workers
- Slip On Shoe for Retail Workers
- Waterproof Outdoor Retail Work Shoes
- Slip-On Shoe for Retail Workers
- Comfortable Shoes for Retail workers
- Sneaker for Retail Workers
- Index Table: Top Rated Shoes for Retail Workers