This problem is also referred to as Supination, and as you can see from the image below, the rotation of your feet when you land on them is rolling outwards.
Our article will look at the best shoes for supination that podiatrists recommended to help with this issue.
Definition of Underpronation
Underpronation (or Supination) is when the heel’s outer lateral side hits the ground at an increased angle, preventing the foot from rolling sufficiently inwards upon impact.
This, in turn, results in the feet taking on more pressure, especially when a person is walking or running, leading to inflammation and resultant muscle injuries.
How To Tell if you are an Underpronator
The easiest way to tell if you have underpronation is to look at the soles of an old pair of walking or running shoes. If the soles are worn on the heel’s outer lateral side, like in the picture below, you are an underpronation sufferer. There is no reason to panic. About 15 percent of walkers or runners worldwide suffer from underpronation.
If your soles are worn out on the front inner side, you might be an overpronator; for more information on over-pronation, check out our post on the Best Walking Shoes for Overpronation
How to Take Care of Underpronation
There are no medications that one can take to solve this problem.
Other ways by which underpronation can be handled are:
- Replace Old Shoes – Never wear worn-out shoes because they are worn outside and will increase the roll outward of your foot.
- Orthotics – Use specifically designed orthotics and insoles for Supination (especially for dress shoes).
- Proper Footwear – Choose shoes with a deep-heel cup to stabilize your foot and prevent it from rolling outward.
- Strength Excercises – Some Yoga poses can help strengthen your arches and stabilize your foot.
Features of a Good Walking Shoe for Underpronation
- Uppers – Flexible, soft, breathable, lightweight, and soft upper construction.
- Support – Good structural support, firm yet cushioned midsoles such as EVA or rubber. A heel cup or stabilizer is a must for underpronation. Stabilizing technology features and motion control.
- Outsole – Good gripping and high traction rubber outsole.
- Cushioning – Good cushioning for shock absorbency and comfort.
We will look at some notable shoe models suitable for treating the symptoms and problems associated with underpronation.
Best Running Shoes for Underpronation
We hope you love the products we recommend!
We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Moderate to Severe Underpronator Shoe
- This shoe uses GEL-cushioning technology that reduces the shock during impact, allowing for a smooth transition throughout your stride.
- Forefoot and Rearfoot and GEL-Cushioning framework provide better support for under-pronated foot structure.
- Excellent shock absorbent and cushioning, making this shoe a very comfortable one.
- Impact Guidance System (I.G.S) allows the foot to perform more naturally, resulting in a healthier foot motion.
- This shoe also features as one of the best shoes for Achilles Tendonitis.
Sever Supination Running Shoes
- It is ideally suited for those suffering from mild to moderate underpronation.
- Chosen by Runner’s World Magazine for the Editor’s Choice Award for Fall 2016.
- It has specially cushioned soles that help absorb such special needs shock.
- It also has a new element upper for protection from nature’s elements.
- It is exceptionally lightweight and has a breathable mesh fabric, which aids in preventing bad odor.
- The overlays are of high quality and are made from durable and synthetic materials.
- The insole is made from unique S-257 material and is known for flexibility and cushioning.
- It also has unique crash pads protecting the heel and midfoot areas.
Narrow to Wide Running Shoes for UnderPronators
- The full-length Super DNA midsole ensures cushioned comfort and maximum energy return.
- The adjustable saddle construction provides a more comfortable and snug fit.
- The forefoot has soft-blown rubber for cushioning and grip.
- The 3D print overlays give structural support and reduce weight.
Supination Running Shoe
- Thanks to a lightweight blown rubber outsole and a REVlite midsole, it is very comfortable.
- Ideal for high-performance running.
- They are designed to support underpronation.
- Minimal friction with the foot, no blister or sore spot due to its no-sew overlays.
- Bootie-like construction, resulting in plenty of ankle support.
- It is considered to be a very flexible and well-ventilated shoe.
Runner's Shoe for Underpronation
- It is a fully synthetic imported shoe, especially for those suffering from underpronation.
- Asics Kinsei is well known for its famous rubber sole designed to grip better and support those suffering from various degrees of Supination.
- It is one of the few shoes with a unique discrete heel unit based on a computer-aided and designed Impact Guidance System.
- It also has the much talked about and beneficial Propulsion Trusstic Technology.
- The FluidRole Midsole is also an addition that helps with a better grip for those suffering from Supination.
Best Underpronation Running Shoes
- This shoe is made from high-quality synthetic materials.
- It is made from reflective overlays, making it highly visible in poor light conditions.
- Shock absorbent is achieved via a HydraMAX collar lining.
- This version is an upgrade of its predecessor, Saucony Ride 9.
Top Running Shoes for Supination
- Breathable mesh and synthetic uppers.
- ISOFIT soft inner sleeve morphs into the foot for a sock-like feel.
- A durable high-traction rubber outsole.
- The EVERUN insole cushioning technology ensures maximum comfort and support.
- A lightweight SSL EVA midsole with EVERUN Landing Zone.
Plush Cushioned Underpronation Running Shoes
- The uppers are mesh for breathability with a flexible fit.
- There are a breathable textile interior lining and a removable foam padded console for cushioning and support.
- The Full-length EVA midsole absorbs shock throughout the entire foot and balances weight evenly.
- The rubber sole provides long-lasting durability and traction.
Running and Walking Shoes for Underpronation
- The Upper is textile and synthetic for a more structured and supportive fit.
- An articulated full-length midsole for flexible and durable cushioning and a no-sew midfoot saddle for support.
- Furthermore, the rubber outsole has flex grooves for better traction and a smoother running or walking experience.
- There are also different color models available in the Nike Downshifter 9 range.
Best Walking Shoes for Supination
This section is dedicated to the best walking shoes for supination in 2023.10
Walking Shoes for Underpronation
- There are 100% Genuine Full Grain leather uppers with perforations for breathability.
- There is also a Grid Cushioning unit for support and comfort.
- The Walk-Trac design comfort rubber outsole ensures better stability ad support.
- For comfort, there is also a padded tongue and collar.
New Balance Walking Shoes for Underpronation
- Durable leather and textile uppers for a stylish and comfortable fit.
- Rollbar technology controls pronation and provides more stability in an everyday casual walking shoe.
- The cushioned foam midsole ensures luxurious comfort and support.
- A durable rubber outsole for exceptional grip.
Underpronation Cushioned Walking and Casual Shoe
- The sole has a platform design with rubber for durability.
- There is a plush Memory foam insole that is Air-cooled for comfort and a shock-absorbing midsole.
- You can get both shoe models in different width options and color selections.
- The memory foam provides customizable support and molds to your feet’ shape for optimal arch support.
Best Dress Shoes for Underpronation13
Dress Shoes for Supinators
- Comfortable and durable uppers.
- An arch-supportive, comfortable padded insole.
- A lightweight fit for easy movement and to prevent foot fatigue.
- The durable rubber outsole ensures excellent traction and shock absorption.
Dress Shoes for Supination
- A san Crispino stability heel with a durable outsole offering excellent grip.
- Excellent high arch support and an EVA footbed.
- The traction sole is likewise flexible and highly durable.
- Better forefoot flexibility with the Strobel construction.
Best Sandals for Underpronation15
Slingback Best Underpronation Supination Sandal
- They are made by hand from pure leather.
- The soles are rubber, providing better traction and shock absorption.
- They are designed to support the specific requirements of feminine and masculine supination feet structure.
- Heel measurement is 0.75 inches, a great plus for those suffering from underpronation of various degrees.
- Platform height: 0.5 inches.
- Featuring a prominent arch support, deep heel cup, and wide toe box.
Toe Post Sandals for Supination
- Features a concealed orthotic arch support ideal for preventing Supination.
- Leather and textile uppers with non-irritating smooth linings.
- Eay slip-on and off casual yet still fashionable flip-flop.
- A durable and high-gripping rubber outsole.
- Contoured design for perfect support.
Best Hiking Shoes for Underpronation17
Hiking Boots for Supination
- Durable leather and synthetic uppers with a breathable design.
- A Climate controlled and moisture-wicking interior lining.
- Supportive and cushioned footbed.
- Durable rubber outsole with a trail-specific tread.
Hiking Shoes for Under Pronation
- It offers exceptional high arch support, which is usually common amongst individuals who supinate.
- A low-cut style hiking shoe that offers exceptional stability and grip.
- Durable outdoor traction rubber outsole.
- A dual-density cushioning EVA insole.
- The Vibram outsole is slip-resistant on all surfaces.
- Features a wider and roomier toe box.
Best Insoles for Underpronation
Another option is to add heel wedges into your current walking shoes to stop the supination, balance your foot alignment and stop your shoes from wearing out at the outer corners of the heel edges of the shoes. Soul Insole Heel Wedges are a simple and effective solution for over supination. We highly recommend giving them a try as they have a low cost and high success rate with over supinators.
- Provides crucial lateral posting to stop over supination
- Small in size, designed to fit ANY shoe or sandal
- Cushions the heel and adjusts foot alignment, helping aid in improving ankle, knee, hip & back alignment to reduce pain & improve gait.
- Self-sticking makes for easy application and is compatible with all types of shoes.
- Washable, re-usable, and bacterial-resistant
- #1 Choice by Medical Practitioners and Top Athletic Therapists Worldwide
Shoe Inserts Correcting Supination
- Excellent form correction system ideal for supination correction.
- Stabilizing heel.
- They are cushioned for comfort.
- Four Layers of support and cushioning with a smooth moisture-wicking top layer.
Index Table – Shoes for Underpronation
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Asics® - Moderate to Severe Underpronator Shoe||Nimbus 24||Nimbus 24||Asics||97.6|
|2||Brooks® - Sever Supination Running Shoes||Ghost 15||Ghost 15||Brooks||96|
|3||Brooks® - Narrow to Wide Running Shoes for UnderPronators||Glycerin 19||Glycerin 19||Brooks||96|
|4||New Balance® - Supination Running Shoe||Vazee Pace v2||Vazee Pace v2||New Balance||95|
|5||Asics® - Runner's Shoe for Underpronation||Kinsei OG||Kinsei OG||Asics||97|
|6||Saucony® - Best Underpronation Running Shoes||Ride 14||Ride 14||Saucony||95|
|7||Saucony® - Top Running Shoes for Supination||ProGrid Triumph ISO 5||ProGrid Triumph ISO 5||Saucony||95|
|8||Hoka® - Plush Cushioned Underpronation Running Shoes||Bondi 8||Bondi 8||Hoka||97.6|
|9||Nike® - Running and Walking Shoes for Underpronation||Downshifter 10||Downshifter 10||Nike||97.7|
|10||Saucony® - Walking Shoes for Underpronation||Echelon LE2||ProGrid||Saucony||97|
|11||New Balance® - New Balance Walking Shoes for Underpronation||MW813||WW813||New Balance||96|
|12||Skechers® - Underpronation Cushioned Walking and Casual Shoe||Afterburn||D’Lites||Skechers||97.4|
|13||Dunham® - Dress Shoes for Supinators||Blair||Berri||Dunham||95|
|14||Rockport® - Dress Shoes for Supination||World Tour||Parker||Rockport||95|
|15||Birkenstock® - Slingback Best Underpronation Supination Sandal||Milano||Milano||Birkenstock||96|
|16||Vionic® - Toe Post Sandals for Supination||Tide||Karina||Vionic||97|
|17||Lowa® - Hiking Boots for Supination||Renegade GTX||Renegade||Lowa||97|
|18||Vasque® - Hiking Shoes for Under Pronation||Mantra||Mantra||Vasque||98|
|1||Soul Insole® - Insoles for Over Pronation||Heel Wedge for Over Pronation||Heel Wedge for Over Pronation||Soul Insole||98|
|2||Foot Scientific® - Shoe Inserts Correcting Supination||4-Layer||4-Layer||Foot Scientific||97|
Table of Contents
- Definition of Underpronation
- How To Tell if you are an Underpronator
- How to Take Care of Underpronation
- Features of a Good Walking Shoe for Underpronation
- Best Running Shoes for Underpronation
- Moderate to Severe Underpronator Shoe
- Sever Supination Running Shoes
- Narrow to Wide Running Shoes for UnderPronators
- Supination Running Shoe
- Runner's Shoe for Underpronation
- Best Underpronation Running Shoes
- Top Running Shoes for Supination
- Plush Cushioned Underpronation Running Shoes
- Running and Walking Shoes for Underpronation
- Best Walking Shoes for Supination
- Best Dress Shoes for Underpronation
- Best Sandals for Underpronation
- Best Hiking Shoes for Underpronation
- Best Insoles for Underpronation
- Index Table – Shoes for Underpronation