This problem is also referred to as supination, and as you can see from the image below, it is when the rotation of your feet when you land on them is rolling outwards.
Definition of Underpronation
Underpronation (or Supination) is when the outer lateral side of the heel hits the ground at an increased angle, preventing the foot from rolling sufficiently inwards upon impact.
This, in turn, results in the feet, taking on more pressure, especially when a person is walking or running, which could lead to inflammation and resultant muscle injuries.
How To Tell if you are an Underpronator
The easiest way to tell if you have under pronation is to look at the soles of an old pair of walking or running shoes. If the soles are worn on the outer lateral side of the heel, like in the picture below, you are an under-pronator.
NO reason to panic, about 15 percent of walkers or runners across the world suffer from under pronation.
If your soles are worn out on the front inner side, you might be an overpronator, for more information on over-pronation check out our post on the Best Walking Shoes for Overpronation
How to Take Care of Underpronation
There are no medications that one can take and solve this problem.
Other ways by which under pronation can be handled are:
- Never use worn-out shoes because they wear on the outside and it will increase the roll outward of your foot.
- Use specifically designed orthotics and insoles for Supination (especially for dress shoes).
- Choose shoes with a deep heel cup, because it will stabilize your foot and prevent the rolling outward.
- Some Yoga poses can help strengthen your arches and stable your foot.
Features of a Good Walking Shoe for Underpronation
- Flexible and soft upper construction that is breathable and lightweight.
- Good structural support, a firm yet cushioned midsoles such as EVA or rubber.
- Good gripping and high traction rubber outsole.
- A heel cup or stabilizer is a must for underpronation.
- Stabilizing technology features and motion control.
- Good cushioning for shock absorbency and comfort.
We will specifically look at some notable shoe models suitable for treating the various symptoms and problems associated with under-pronation.
Best Running Shoes for Underpronation
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Moderate to Severe Underpronator Shoe
The New ASICS GEL-Nimbus make use of FluidFit technology, which are stretch reinforcements and multi-directional stretch mesh combined to create a perfect fit.
- This shoe uses GEL-Cushioning technology that reduces the shock during impact, allowing for a smooth transition throughout your stride.
- Forefoot and Rearfoot and GEL-Cushioning framework providing better support for under-pronated foot structure.
- Excellent shock absorbent and cushioning, making this shoe a very comfortable one.
- Impact Guidance System (I.G.S) allowing the foot to perform in a more natural manner resulting in a healthier foot motion.
- This shoe also features as one of the best shoes for Achilles Tendonitis.
Sever Supination Running Shoes
Brooks, for many years, has been known to come out with different kinds of shoes for those suffering from particular conditions such as a high arch or under pronation. In keeping with this tradition, this specific model has quite a few features that are worth mentioning.
- It is ideally suited for those suffering from mild to moderate under pronation.
- Chosen by Runner’s World Magazine for the Editor’s Choice Award for Fall 2016.
- It comes with specially cushioned soles that help absorb shock to such users with special needs.
- It also has a new element upper for protection from the elements of nature.
- It is exceptionally lightweight and has a breathable mesh fabric, which aids in the prevention of bad odor.
- The overlays are of high quality made from durable and synthetic materials.
- The insole is made from unique S-257 material and is known for flexibility and cushioning.
- It also has unique crash-pads protecting the heel and midfoot areas.
Narrow to Wide Running Shoes for UnderPronators
The Brooks Glycerin is built for neutral to mild over-pronators and provides lightweight cushioning.
- The full-length Super DNA midsole ensures cushioned comfort and maximum energy return.
- The adjustable saddle construction provides a more comfortable and snug fit.
- The forefoot has soft blown rubber for cushioning and grip.
- The 3D print overlays give structural support and reduce weight.
Supination Running Shoe
Lightweight walking and running shoes with superb arch support.
- Very comfortable thanks to a lightweight blown rubber outsole and a REVlite midsole.
- Ideal for high performance running.
- They are designed to support under-pronation.
- Minimal friction with the foot, no blister or sore spot, due to its no-sew overlays.
- Bootie like construction, resulting in plenty of ankle support.
- Considered to be a very flexible and well-ventilated shoe.
Runner's Shoe for Underpronation
This Asics Gel Kinsei is a popular shoe for those suffering from under pronation. Coming from the house of ASICS, it is packed with advanced technologies that can help those who suffer from foot supination.
- It is an imported shoe that is fully synthetic, especially keeping in mind the needs of those suffering from under pronation.
- It is also well known for its famous rubber sole that is designed for better grip and support for those suffering from various degrees of Supination.
- It is one of the few shoes that come with the unique discrete heel unit, which is based on computer-aided and designed the Impact Guidance System.
- It also has the much talked about and highly useful Propulsion Trusstic Technology.
- The FluidRole Midsole is also an addition that helps with a better grip for those suffering from Supination.
Best Underpronation Running Shoes
The Saucony Ride has a unique deep forefoot groove especially designed to support healthy to mild under pronation.
- This shoe is made from high-quality synthetic materials.
- It is made from reflective overlays making it highly visible in poor light conditions.
- Shock absorbent achieved via a HydraMAX collar lining.
- This version is an upgrade of its predecessor Saucony Ride 9.
Top Running Shoes for Supination
The Saucony ProGrid Triumph ISO is a comfortable and supportive running shoe that will aid in correcting Supination.
- Breathable mesh and synthetic uppers.
- ISOFIT soft inner sleeve morphs to the foot for a sock-like feel.
- A durable high traction rubber outsole.
- The EVERUN insoles cushioning technology ensures maximum comfort and support.
- A lightweight SSL EVA midsole with EVERUN Landing Zone.
Plush Cushioned Underpronation Running Shoes
The Hoka One Bondi has an Ultra Soft Pillowy underfoot and arches a supportive design for Underpronation.
- The uppers are mesh for breathability with a flexible fit.
- There are a breathable textile interior lining and a removable foam padded insole for cushioning and support.
- The Full-length EVA midsole absorbs shock throughout the entire foot and balances weight evenly.
- The rubber sole provides long lasting durability and traction.
Running and Walking Shoes for Underpronation
The Nike Downshifter 9 is a running and walking shoe that provides ample underfoot cushioning and balanced support for Supination.
- The Upper is textile and synthetic for a more structured and supportive fit.
- There is an articulated full-length midsole for flexible and durable cushioning and a no-sew midfoot saddle for support.
- Furthermore, the rubber outsole has flex grooves for better traction and a smoother experience when running or walking.
- There are also different color models available in the Nike Downshifter 9 range.
Best Walking Shoes for Supination10
Walking Shoes for Underpronation
Here are Reviews for the Men’s Model and Here are Reviews for the Women’s Model.
- There are 100% Genuine Full Grain leather uppers with perforations for breathability.
- There is also a Grid Cushioning unit for support and comfort.
- The Walk-Trac design comfort rubber outsole ensures better stability ad support.
- For comfort, there is also a padded tongue and collar.
New Balance Walking Shoes for Underpronation
A classically styled walking shoe available in black, white, and gray for walkers that supinate.
Here are Reviews for the Men’s Model and Here are Reviews for the Women’s Model.
- Durable leather and textile uppers for a stylish and comfortable fit.
- Rollbar technology to control pronation and provide more stability in an everyday casual walking shoe.
- The cushioned foam midsole ensures luxurious comfort and support.
- A durable rubber outsole for exceptional grip.
Underpronation Cushioned Walking and Casual Shoe
The Skechers Afterburn and Skechers D’Lites are the best available comfort shoes with plush memory foam cushioning for Underpronation.
- The sole has a platform design with rubber for durability.
- There is a plush Memory foam insole that is Air-cooled for comfort and a shock absorbing midsole.
- You can get both shoe models in different width options as well as color selections.
- The memory foam provides customizable support and molds to the shape of your feet for optimal arch support.
Best Dress Shoes for Underpronation13
Dress Shoes for Supinators
These are stunning dress shoes that have all the required features to help correct Supination and provide exceptional comfort.
- Comfortable and durable uppers.
- An arch supportive, comfortable padded insole.
- A lightweight fit for easy movement and to prevent foot fatigue.
- The durable rubber outsole ensures excellent traction and shock absorption.
Dress Shoes for Supination
These lightweight and fashionable shoes are the ideal dress shoes for any occasion, offering excellent support for Supination and a higher arch.
The lightweight leather, humanmade sole, and the padded tongue and collar make it much more comfortable for walking as well as prevent blistering.
- A san Crispino stability heel with a durable outsole offering excellent grip.
- Excellent high arch support and an EVA footbed.
- The traction sole is likewise flexible and highly durable.
- Better forefoot flexibility with the Strobel construction.
Best Sandals for Underpronation15
Slingback Best Underpronation Supination Sandal
The original cork midsole and contoured footbed were specially designed to provide support and stability for Supination.
- They are made by hand from pure leather.
- The soles are made from rubber, providing better traction and better shock absorbent.
- They are designed to support the specific requirements of both feminine and masculine, supination feet structure.
- Heel measurement is 0.75 inches, which is a great plus for those suffering from under-pronation of various degrees.
- Platform height: 0.5 inches.
- Featuring a prominent arch support, deep heel cup, and wide toe box.
Toe Post Sandals for Supination
The Vionic Tide Post and Karina sandal is a comfortable and casual sandal that has a supportive insole with an anatomical shape to help prevent Supination.
- Features a concealed orthotic arch support ideal to prevent Supination.
- Leather and textile uppers with non-irritating smooth linings.
- Eay slip on and off casual yet still fashionable flip flop.
- A durable and high gripping rubber outsole.
- Contoured design for perfect support.
Best Hiking Shoes for Underpronation17
Hiking Boots for Supination
The innovative ‘Monowrap Frame supportive midsole’ is part of the Supination-Pronation System that helps reduce and prevent over-pronation and Supination.
- Durable leather and synthetic uppers with a breathable design.
- A Climate controlled and moisture-wicking interior lining.
- Supportive and cushioned footbed.
- Durable rubber outsole with a trail-specific tread.
Hiking Shoes for Under Pronation
Vasque is fast becoming a popular name in supportive and comfortable Hiking shoes. The mantra is the perfect model for under pronation.
- It offers exceptional high arch support, which is usually common amongst individuals who supinate.
- A low cut style hiking shoe that offers exceptional stability and grip.
- Durable outdoor traction rubber outsole.
- A dual-density cushioning EVA insole.
- The Vibram outsole is slip-resistant on all surfaces.
- Features a wider and roomier toe box.
Best Insoles for Underpronation19
Shoe Inserts Correcting Supination
- Excellent form correction system ideal for supination correction.
- Stabilizing heel.
- They are cushioned for comfort.
- Four Layers of support and cushioning with a smooth moisture-wicking top layer.
Summary Table – Shoes for Underpronation
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||Asics® - Moderate to Severe Underpronator Shoe||Asics||97.6|
|2||Brooks® - Sever Supination Running Shoes||Brooks||96|
|3||Brooks® - Narrow to Wide Running Shoes for UnderPronators||Brooks||96|
|4||New Balance® - Supination Running Shoe||New Balance||95|
|5||Asics® - Runner's Shoe for Underpronation||Asics||97|
|6||Saucony® - Best Underpronation Running Shoes||Saucony||95|
|7||Saucony® - Top Running Shoes for Supination||Saucony||95|
|8||Hoka One® - Plush Cushioned Underpronation Running Shoes||Hoka One||97.6|
|9||Nike® - Running and Walking Shoes for Underpronation||Nike||97.7|
|10||Saucony® - Walking Shoes for Underpronation||Saucony||97|
|11||New Balance® - New Balance Walking Shoes for Underpronation||New Balance||96|
|12||Skechers® - Underpronation Cushioned Walking and Casual Shoe||Skechers||97.4|
|13||Dunham® - Dress Shoes for Supinators||Dunham||95|
|14||Rockport® - Dress Shoes for Supination||Rockport||95|
|15||Birkenstock® - Slingback Best Underpronation Supination Sandal||Birkenstock||96|
|16||Vionic® - Toe Post Sandals for Supination||Vionic||97|
|17||Lowa® - Hiking Boots for Supination||Lowa||97|
|18||Vasque® - Hiking Shoes for Under Pronation||Vasque||98|
|19||Foot Scientific® - Shoe Inserts Correcting Supination||Foot Scientific||97|
Protect your feet and correct overpronation or Supination by wearing one of these exceptional choices of shoes. You will walk in comfort and style, knowing that you have the best on your feet.
Table of Contents
- Definition of Underpronation
- How To Tell if you are an Underpronator
- How to Take Care of Underpronation
- Features of a Good Walking Shoe for Underpronation
- Best Running Shoes for Underpronation
- Moderate to Severe Underpronator Shoe
- Sever Supination Running Shoes
- Narrow to Wide Running Shoes for UnderPronators
- Supination Running Shoe
- Runner's Shoe for Underpronation
- Best Underpronation Running Shoes
- Top Running Shoes for Supination
- Plush Cushioned Underpronation Running Shoes
- Running and Walking Shoes for Underpronation
- Best Walking Shoes for Supination
- Best Dress Shoes for Underpronation
- Best Sandals for Underpronation
- Best Hiking Shoes for Underpronation
- Best Insoles for Underpronation
- Summary Table – Shoes for Underpronation
- In Conclusion