The most important factor when choosing footwear, especially walking shoes for overweight women, is to make sure the shoe can support the weight and pressure applied when walking.
As you walk, you exert tree times your weight on your feet and shoe, and when you run, the load goes to 5 times your body weight.
Health Benefits of Walking for Overweight Women
According to several types of research by just walking for at least 15 minutes in a day can help overweight people stabilize blood sugar levels and minimize cravings for sweet snacks and high-calorie food items.
This mild exercise is indeed fantastic, and it would be even more fantastic if you own excellent walking shoes.
The Effects of Weight on Your Feet and Legs When Walking
You always need to keep in mind that your feet carry around the weight of your entire body, and they also absorb the impact when your foot strikes the ground.
The more you weigh, the more work your feet have to do to support the stress that your body tissues are under, for example, we wrote about the best shoes for overweight nurses as this is an excellent example of workers that are up on their feet most of the time.
Over time obesity will not only wear out your feet but also your legs and joints, connective tissues will become stretched out, and the natural fat pads under your feet will compress down, causing the rest of your muscles to work much harder.
Being overweight also adds pressure to your ankles, knees, and hips and not only your feet, which can lead to a range of serious health conditions and foot problems.
Another issue with obesity is that people who are obese often cannot reach their feet and therefore settle for slip-on shoes that are easy to get on and take off but of little or no support for the foot.
The added pressure on your limbs can cause much discomfort when standing and walking as well as pain and other conditions such as plantar fasciitis and tendinitis. You will also be more prone to overuse injuries when you are overweight.
With times very simple activities such as walking and standing can become so painful and uncomfortable, making these activities almost impossible and in turn, less activity will cause more weight gain in the end.
Pre-requisites for Walking Shoes
Make sure it is always the right fit in order to avoid getting blisters on the heel, battered toenails, foot and muscle pain, and even muscle cramps.
An excellent pair of walking shoes for women must be able to tackle heel to toe activities.
It is a must that overweight women, who want to lose weight through walking, will choose the right shoes for the health of the feet as it is clearly at stake, and you do not like to incur problems later on.
One should choose a walking shoe that secures the heel along with the toe, and there should be enough space to move the toes. A recent study of overweight women showed that walking just 12 miles a week can lose weight and body fat. Thus, this is all the more reason to start walking with the right pair of walking shoes.
Features of a Good Heavy Weight Walking Shoe
- Cushioninng or padding.
- lightweight and breathable construction.
- A wider fit or ore flexible uppers.
- Stability and motion control features.
- good shock absorption and arch support.
- A thick and durable outsole.
List of Walking Shoes for Heavy Women Reviews
Find below our most recommended shoes for walking for people who have weight issues:1
- It has soft and durable, breathable upper linings made of leather that provides premium comfort quality.
- It is embedded with a thick heel wedge and ensures that you have a strong and stable foot base.
- It includes thermoplastic urethane posting mechanics that are intended to control excessive rearfoot movements.
- It is built with a rubber outsole that gives a better grip and maximum traction.
- Pros – This pair of walking shoes ensure a very relaxing walk experience; this is indeed a luxury to your feet.
- Cons – Quite expensive; however, the comfort features of this shoe are worth the investment, considering this shoe can last for many years.
- This walking shoe is built to withstand a heavy weight.
- It has a shock-absorbing EVA midsole, and a flexible rubber outsole ensures greater stability and provides your foot with proper walking posture.
- Full-grain leather, mesh upper, lining, and sock liner.
- Women suffering from plantar fasciitis (which is a common problem for overweight people) will find this shoe to be very helpful.
- This shoe has an extra-wide width size, which is critical for heavy person
- Pros – gives right support, stability, comfort; thus, you stay safe and injury-free in these shoes.
- Cons – lack of supply for some of the colors.
- It features reflectors so you can be seen while walking for a longer period of time, especially at evening or night.
- Fluid Ride: provides the ultimate combination of bounce back and cushioning properties with reduced weight and exceptional durability.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Cushioning Systems:
- Attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases. Allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle.
- With 8mm from heel to toe cushion, you have greater balance, comfort, and control as your heel, and the whole feet will reach the same height.
- Improved midsole geometry and sleek new Seamless Construction give extra comfort and cushioning to the whole shoes.
- Another great feature is the ‘Impact Guidance System’ that enhances the natural gait from heel strike to toe.
- Pros – with lots of cushioning features, this shoe provides top-rate comfort and stability.
- Cons – little heavier than expected, but it does give excellent foot support.
- This Reebok walking shoe combines stability and quality comfort.
- An Oil- and slip-resistant outsole gives extra movement support and control for balance and stability.
- It is constructed with a synthetic mesh upper material, making it lightweight shoes.
- This shoe is offered in varying widths from narrow to extra-wide width.
- Pros – Long lasting shoes as it is built with solid materials.
- Cons – Currently it comes only in 2 colors: black or white.
- This pair of walking shoes has great features like ABZORB cushioning for extra premium comfort.
- The Rollbar posting system provides excellent movement control.
- Ndurance rubber outsole that gives the best traction performance.
- This shoe comes with Polyurethane insert foam for a more comfortable experience.
- This running shoe is well suited as walking shoes, as it has good arch support; thus, it helps control pronation.
- It is constructed with breathable materials. Thus it keeps your feet dry.
- Pros – excellent walking shoes as it delivers ultimate control and comfort.
- Cons – sizing is not similar to others – so double-check not to make mistakes.
- Hand-made Suede-Sandal, this leather has a soft, napped finish and feels great on your skin.
- The soles are made from rubber, providing better traction and better shock absorbent.
- A cork midsole and contoured footbed are designed overtime to take the shape of your underfoot and thus provide better support, stability, and comfort.
- Designed to support the specific requirements of heavy people without compromising on the look.
- Using the two straps, you can accommodate a very thick foot inside.
- This sandal has great arch support, deep heel cup, and a wide toe box.
- Dansko is well known for making “Clogs That Just Feels Great”.
- This is a Wide Professional Slip-On Clog – It is appropriate for a variety of work environments.
- The Upper is made from breathable leather that anatomically follows your foot and helps promote dry, healthy feet.
- Shock absorbing Polyurethane Rocker Outsole pushes you forward gracefully for a smooth gait.
- Plush memory foam insoles provide excellent cushioning to your feet, leaving you feeling comfortable all day long.
- Reinforced roomy toe box for maximum protection of your toes as well as room to relax.
You cannot go wrong with the Saucony Ride; it provides ample support in a wide and lightweight fit with breathable mesh and a durable rubber outsole.
- Lightweight and flexible synthetic and mesh uppers for a wider fit to accommodate a wider foot and provide well-ventilated comfort.
- The 8mm heel-toe to drop ensures more natural movement and helps to support the foot.
- The reflective silver detail makes this running shoe more visible for nighttime runs.
- The Rundry collar lining ensures a better fit and keeps your feet dry and free from moisture.
- The ComfortLite sock liner is a comfortable and moisture-wicking lining for dry comfort and excellent support.
- The Saucony Ride 7 is available in many vibrant color options.
- The durable rubber outsole ensures excellent grip and good shock absorption.
The Brooks Ariel is an exceptional running shoe that has all the features to accommodate heavier weight as well as stability and motion control characteristics to help with overpronation and provide the appropriate support for flat feet.
- The breathable mesh and lightweight upper materials hug the foot for a glove-like fit and the element mesh, and sock liner technology keeps your feet dry, cool, and odor-free.
- The BIOMOGO midsole ensures a plush and cushioned comfort for all-day support, while the soft fabric lining provides a gentle feel to the foot that is non-irritating.
- A full-length DNA midsole adapts to your stride, providing better cushioning and stability.
- The full-length segmented crash pad provides a smoother heel to toe transitioning with every step that you take.
- The HPR rubber outsole is abrasion-resistant for better durability, and the Omega Flex Grooves allow more natural forefoot movement.
- The Brooks Ariel is available in widths sizes up to extra wide.
From the first step you take in the Asics Gel Excite 7, you will know that you have made an excellent choice; this is an extremely comfortable and supportive shoe that can be used for running, walking, and even just for casual wear.
- Lightweight and breathable materials are used with seamless construction and forefoot overlays on the uppers for a more comfortable and well-ventilated fit.
- The compression-molded EVA midsole and rearfoot gel cushioning system provide a responsive ride and excellent shock absorption.
- The lower profile midsole geometry features a “walking bevel” and a more flexible sole design that gives you more natural movement and a better heel to toe-off transition.
- A durable outsole provides excellent traction on most surfaces.
- Available in wider widths for wider feet.
The New Balance 680V6 is comfortable and lightweight running and walking shoe that is ideal for overweight men and women.
- The uppers are mesh with No-Sew Application and a lining for comfort.
- There is an NB insert for cushioning, which is removable as well as a supportive Foam midsole.
- Injection Molded EVA is used in the midsole with ABZORB shock-absorbing technology.
- The rubber outsole ensures excellent traction and long-lasting durability.
The Skechers Afterburn and Skechers D’Lites are two excellent choices in heavy-duty and comfortable casual shoes for everyday use.
- The Upper consists of Mesh and synthetic materials for breathability and durability.
- The whole shoe is lined to keep your feet comfortable and moisture at bay.
- There is an Air Cooled Memory Foam cushioned footbed and supportive midsole.
- The Thick platform rubber sole is very durable and absorbs shock on impact.
- You can also choose from many color options in both the Afterburn and the D’Lites.
The Merrell Jungle Moc Slip-On Waterproof Outdoor shoe is the perfect Heavy Weight shoe for trail walking and hiking.
- The Upper is suede leather with an M Select DRY waterproof Membrane.
- A Compression Molded Footframe and Merrell Air cushioned heel provides comfort and shock absorbency.
- The Underfoot Nylon shank protects your feet and ensures stability.
- A durable and lug rubber outsole ensures excellent grip on slippery outdoor surfaces.
- Both these moldes also features an Aegis treated lining for odor resistance.
A Few Hidden Causes of Weight Gain in Women
Have you ever thought that there might be an underlying reason as to why you are gaining weight despite just the normal assumptions;
If you are gaining 40 or more extra pounds for no reason, you may be one of the 7-10% of premenopausal women who are suffering from the polycystic ovarian syndrome. Your weight gain may be due to this condition that causes your ovaries and adrenal glands to pump out too many male hormones.
When you are gaining weight around puberty or after pregnancy that just does not want to budge, and if your hair starts thinning, you get extra facial hair, acne and irregular periods, or impaired fertility, you may just have excess male hormones causing the polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Strangely enough, it is not the male hormone that causes weight gain but rather a genetic component that is associated with it. That is the way some women with a polycystic ovarian syndrome will gain weight while others will not.
Although there is not an easy and permanent cure for polycystic ovarian syndrome with exercise and a healthy balanced diet you can lose most of the weight and resume your normal periods, improve your chances of getting pregnant as well as reduce other symptoms because exercise and healthy eating will lower the male hormone levels.
Hypothyroidism is a condition that develops as the result of an underactive thyroid.
Hypothyroidism is treatable and can cause small amounts of weight gain because of the decreased thyroid functioning.
This condition, in general, causes very small amounts of weight gain (but it does accumulate over time if not treated) because of fluid retention rather than fat gain, along with symptoms such as brittle hair and nails, dry skin, and a tendency to feel cold.
Treating Hypothyroidism will help you lose a few pounds but will not result in a much fat loss.
Gaining extra weight does not always mean you are gaining extra fat; in some cases, weight gain may be due to fluid retention. Premenstrual symptoms can cause puffiness, but if you are gaining a lot of weight because of water retention, it is advised to get to a physician very quickly as you may have heart or kidney failure causing edema or swelling. These disorders, though, are more likely to affect older women. You can test if you are gaining weight because of fat or water retention by pushing your fingertip on your skin if it leaves an indentation, it is usually fluid retention if it springs back then it is most likely fat.
A Knot in the Stomach
A very rare but still mention a worthy cause of rapid unexplained weight gain may be a tumor or growth. Ovarian tumors and tumors that grow in the abdomen can cause your midsection to grow and expand disproportionately.
If you are taking certain medications on a regular basis, it may be that one or more of them are causing you to gain weight.
Medications such as certain anti-depressants, anti-diabetes drugs, oral contraceptives, steroids, and many other medications have a definite hand in your weight gain. Luckily there are alternatives to most medications that will not cause you to gain any weight.
Summary Table: Best Shoes for Overweight Women
|1||New Balance Women's WW928v3 - Health Walking Laced Shoe for Heavy Women||New Balance||97.5|
|2||Vionic Women's Walker - Wide Walking Shoes||Vionic||96|
|3||ASICS Women's Cumulus 22 - Heavy Duty Running Shoes of Overweight Female||ASICS||98|
|4||Reebok Women's Work N Cushion - Work Shoes for Overweight Women||Reebok||91|
|5||New Balance Women's W1540V3 - Optimum Control Walking Shoe for Obese Women||New Balance||97|
|6||Birkenstock Women's Arizona - Soft Footbed Sandals for Overweight Women||Birkenstock||96|
|7||Dansko Women's Wide Professional - Orthopedic Clog for Heavy Ladies||Dansko||97|
|8||Saucony Women's ISO Ride 2 - Heavy Weight Running and Walking Shoe||Saucony||97|
|9||Brooks Women's Ariel 20 - Walking Shoe for Heavy Weights||Brooks||96|
|10||Asics Women's Gel Excite 7 - Heavy Weight Comfortable Walking Shoe||Asics||94|
|11||New Balance Women's 680V6 - Heavy Weight Walking and Running Shoe||New Balance||97.3|
|12||Skechers Women's D’Lites - Heavy Weight Walking and Casual Shoe||Skechers||97.4|
|12||Merrell Women's Jungle Moc Light - Outdoor Walking Shoes for Overweight Men and Women||Merrell||96.5|
Table of Contents
- Health Benefits of Walking for Overweight Women
- The Effects of Weight on Your Feet and Legs When Walking
- Features of a Good Heavy Weight Walking Shoe
- List of Walking Shoes for Heavy Women Reviews
- New Balance® Women's WW928v3 Health Walking Laced Shoe for Heavy Women
- Vionic® Women's Walker Wide Walking Shoes
- ASICS® Women's Cumulus 22 Heavy Duty Running Shoes of Overweight Female
- Reebok® Women's Work N Cushion Work Shoes for Overweight Women
- New Balance® Women's W1540V3 Optimum Control Walking Shoe for Obese Women
- Birkenstock® Women's Arizona Soft Footbed Sandals for Overweight Women
- Dansko® Women's Wide Professional Orthopedic Clog for Heavy Ladies
- Saucony® Women's ISO Ride 2 Heavy Weight Running and Walking Shoe
- Brooks® Women's Ariel 20 Walking Shoe for Heavy Weights
- Asics® Women's Gel Excite 7 Heavy Weight Comfortable Walking Shoe
- New Balance® Women's 680V6 Heavy Weight Walking and Running Shoe
- Skechers® Women's D’Lites Heavy Weight Walking and Casual Shoe
- Merrell® Women's Jungle Moc Light Outdoor Walking Shoes for Overweight Men and Women
- A Few Hidden Causes of Weight Gain in Women
- Summary Table: Best Shoes for Overweight Women