The high arch condition is something that is tough to deal with when it comes to problems with your feet and makes shopping for shoes particularly challenging. However, there are many options for those who need walking shoes, work shoes, running shoes or even sandals that fit for high arches.
Index Table: Best Walking Shoes for High Arches
|No.||Shoe||Men ♂||Women ♀||Features||Brand||Score|
|1||New Balance® - Walking Shoes for High Arches||New Balance||96|
|2||Asics® - Gel Arch-Cushioned Walking Shoes||Asics||95|
|3||New Balance® - High Arch Walking Shoes||New Balance||96|
|4||Asics® - Best Tennis Shoe for High Arches||Asics||97|
What is High Arch?
Also known as cavus foot, a high arch is a condition where the foot has a high arch because of excessive weight that has been placed on the heel, the ball, or even both, of the foot.
This damage is typically done while the person is standing or walking in the wrong shoes. A high arch can and does develop in any age group and can occur in both of the feet.
High-arch, interestingly enough, is twice more prevalent in women who wear high-heeled shoes regularly, especially heels that are not correct for their feet, but this condition is common in men, too.
Medical conditions, especially cerebral palsy, can cause high arch. It’s also often caused by neurological disorders, spina bifida, polio, Charcot-Maria-Tooth disease and even a stroke can cause this condition, as well. Inherited structural abnormalities are also some of the main reasons for a high arch foot.
Symptoms of High Arch
The most common symptoms for high arch foot are:
- Heel pain while walking or standing, also known as Plantar Fasciitis
- Instability and loss of balance.
- Hammertoes or claw toes.
- Calluses on the side, heel or ball of the foot.
- Random ankle sprains because of the heel tilting inward and causing the foot to become unstable.
A foot drop, which is a weakness of the muscles and the ankle, is also very common and can cause a person having a high arch, to drag their feet whenever they take a step. The weakness of ankle muscles symptom is more prevalent for those with underlying neurological conditions on top of a high arch.
The Importance of Proper Arch Support in Footwear
Anyone who is suffering from high arches needs to be prepared for a struggle when it comes to shoes. Wearing proper footwear if you are suffering from a high arch is essential to dealing with the pain. Supporting your feet properly to accommodate the high arches during the day, while, at work, school or anywhere you go is incredibly important, because you must distribute the body weight on your feet instead of exposing excessive pressure on your heel.
There are special shoes that help those suffering from high arch to get back to their daily lives and routine, without paying over the top at the same time.
These unique shoes have higher tops to them, with extra cushion and support to help those suffering walk better without having to drag the foot. Padding and arch support that are built into these shoes along with a heel pad is the best way to ensure that the pain will not be as severe, so you can get back to what’s most important.
Not wearing shoes that support your high arch condition could worsen the foot further.
It will put more pressure on that foot and make accidents more realistic.
You run the risk of causing ankle sprains because of the awkwardness of the foot, and how tilted it becomes with high arches. This will gradually get worse over time if you do not wear the proper footwear, and will also have to deal with massive amounts of pain throughout the entire day.
For other activities and styles of shoes check our articles on:
Reviews: Best Walking Shoes for High ArchesHere are some of the top walking shoes for high arches available on the market, which will help you to keep your high arch under control
Walking Shoes for High Arches
The New Balance 665 is an affordable option in walking shoes that has some excellent features that will benefit those who have a higher arch and are looking for a great, lightweight walking shoe.
- The removable padded insole and ABZORB cushioning provide excellent support and comfort particularly for those individuals with a higher arch.
- Breathable and lightweight mesh and synthetic leather uppers.
- A non-marking outsole that features Walking Strike Path technology.
- Comfortable, durable and affordable.
Gel Arch-Cushioned Walking Shoes
High Arch Walking Shoes
The leather layer and synthetic support overlay of this shoe gives the utmost comfort while walking.
- This shoe has an injection-molded EVA midsole and also a 13 mm heel offset, both these are proven to be very useful for arch support as well as inflamed toes and fingers.
- It has reflective detailing to enhance your visibility when walking in the evenings
- The rubber outsole guarantees you for long life even under rough use.
- This shoe has the Medicare / HCPCS code = A5500 and may be eligible for Medicare reimbursement.
Best Tennis Shoe for High Arches
Build for the Tennis game; this high arch shoe will improve your stability and comfort during the game.
- This men’s court sneaker has a flexible, synthetic leather and textile upper for better breathability.
- With a PGuard toe protector and padded tongue and collar to help cushion your strides.
- Underfoot support comes from forefoot GEL cushioning.
- They are light, comfortable, and long-lasting tennis shoes.
- In the Tennis court, you can expect to experienced a better overall footwork, faster court speed, and less ankle pain since using these shoes
Learning to Live With High Arch
It can be difficult to walk and run when you suffer from a high arch, but when you find the perfect pair of shoes that help your foot be comfortable and free of pain, it will make everything that much sweeter.
Keep in mind that if you invest in the proper pair of shoes to help with your high arch, even if they are a little out of your budget, you will never regret it.
Wearing the proper shoes to support your arch properly is the best way to keep your foot from becoming worse, and will spare you many injuries in the future.
Table of Contents
- Index Table: Best Walking Shoes for High Arches
- What is High Arch?
- Reviews: Best Walking Shoes for High Arches
- Walking Shoes for High Arches
- Gel Arch-Cushioned Walking Shoes
- High Arch Walking Shoes
- Best Tennis Shoe for High Arches
- Learning to Live With High Arch