A Look At A Few Great Shoes For Arthritis
Arthritis is a progressive disease and very painful too. For many people it becomes a debilitating condition and movement of even a few steps also becomes very hard.
Types of Arthritis
Arthritis is classified as two types, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a condition where the immune systems malfunctions and leads to swelling of the various parts of the body.
It could also impact vital organs like kidney, liver, and heart.
Osteoarthritis, on the other hand, is more common and is caused by wear and tear of the joints and ligaments. It progresses with age and causes problems in movements and hampers daily living too.
Why Special Shoes for Arthritis?
Since arthritis affects the joints of the body, it is a condition that is particularly severe to our feet, since it has many joints. Hence, the feet could get swollen, and you can’t just use ordinary shoes as it would be a very painful experience.
Under the above circumstances, it makes better sense to go in for special shoes that are made for arthritis patients.
Benefits of Good Shoes for Arthritic Feet
- They assist in providing a cushion to the inflamed joints in the feet
- They help in better movement of the knees and other joints.
- They distribute the weight correctly and not put a lot of pressure on the heels.
- They assist in accommodating the inflammation which often is a classic symbol as far as arthritis is concerned.
Over the next few lines, we will have a look at a few brands of shoes which could be categorized as some of the best shoes for arthritis and we are sure it will go a long way in helping those suffering from arthritis to make the right choice.
Shoes for Arthritic Feet Reviews
Here’re our shortlisted best shoes for those who suffer from arthritic ankle, feet, knees, and hips:
1. Asics Neo 4 – Best Walking Shoes for Arthritic Feet
This shoe was chosen as the best walking shoe by the Consumer Reports.
Here are a few important points why these are probably the best walking shoes for arthritic feet:
- Made from fabric in combination with synthetic material, this shoe is extremely comfortable and supple when worn for long periods of time.
- Special care has been taken to shape this shoe contours which are of use to those suffering from moderate to severe arthritis.
- It comes with a medial-side bunion window for enhanced fit and comfort, which helps a lot in keeping the feet compact and tight without putting any pressure on the thumbs and joints of the feet.
- It easily accommodates wide or swollen foot which is essential for those suffering from arthritis. It, therefore, does away with the need to have larger shoes to take care of inflamed toes and fingers.
2. Hush Puppies – Casual Shoes for Arthritis
According to many who suffer from mild to moderate arthritis, these Hush Puppies could be a good option. A very feature-rich and quite a few of the features have been designed keeping in mind the particular needs and requirements of men or women suffering from arthritis. Here are a few important reasons as to why it could be the right choice.
- It is made from high-quality leather and, therefore, is very supple and does not exert pressure on the feet.
- The sole is man-made and, therefore, is perfectly chiseled taking into account the special needs for those suffering from arthritis. It is a primary reason as to why it is counted as a good shoe for arthritis.
- The heel height is around 1.25 inches; ideally suited for those who have problems with heels when walking. It is all the more suited for those suffering from arthritis.
- It comes with a Zero G features which make the shoe very light without compromising on the quality of bottoms, soles and inners.
- It is also very suave and sophisticated to look. Therefore, it combines the best of ergonomics and performances.
- Those who suffer from badly swollen ankles and feet find this brand very useful. It would certainly avoid the need to buy shoes that are larger than the required size.
- The shoes fit well even if the ankles are swollen because of the supple nature of the leather and the quality of soles.
- Hence it is considered to be suitable for people suffering from arthritis.
3. Orthofeet Closure Strap – Best Velcro Dress Shoes for Arthritis
Many arthritis patients who have used these shoes have quite a few good things to mention about them. They have been specially designed for those suffering from arthritis.
Here are a few takeaways as far as these shoes are concerned:
- Made from high-class leather, these shoes are very soft and supple. They do not hurt the fingers or any other parts of the feet which are a common problem for those suffering from arthritis.
- The sole is made from high-quality synthetic material and is totally handmade. Therefore, the contours and shapes have been designed perfectly, keeping in mind specific needs and requirements of those suffering from arthritis.
- The heel of the shoe is just around 1.25 inches and, therefore, does not put too much pressure on the center of the feet and fingers, ideally suited for those suffering from arthritis.
- These shoes are also highly recommended shoes for those suffering from diabetic feet. Hence, it is a dual purpose shoe.
- They are superb looking, stylish and suave.
- These shoes are very light weight and fit extremely well even for those who have wide feet. It avoids the need for going in for bigger sized shoes especially for those suffering from finger pain and inflammation.
Therefore, when the above factors are taken into account, these can easily be considered the best dress shoes for arthritis.
4. Rockport World Tour – Classic Arthritic Travel Walking Shoes
Rockport without any doubt is well known for offering high-quality shoes. In keeping with this tradition, this particular shoe is well known for being very useful for those who could be suffering from mild to moderate arthritis. Here are a few features that go in making it a favorite brand of shoe.
- It is made from very soft pure leather, the uppers are very soft and will not exert pressure on your toes and the ball of the feet.
- The synthetic sole is another important aspect which needs to be taken into account as far as this shoe is concerned. It is very useful for better grip which favors customers suffering from arthritis.
- It has an advanced ergonomics structure which makes is a perfect shoe for those suffering from arthritis.
- It is extremely lightweight which is also vital for those suffering from an arthritic foot.
- It comes with padded tongue and collar which helps to provide that extra layer of protection to your ankles.
The new Balance Men’s MW577 is also considered to be an excellent choice both for healthy feet and arthritis feet. It is feature rich and was specially designed for those who suffer from various grades of arthritis. Here are some useful features worth mentioning:
- The shoe is made from pure leather which is very soft and supple. Hence, it is very comfortable for those suffering from arthritis.
- The synthetic sole is very light and does not put too much pressure on the feet. It is therefore perfectly suited for all those who are looking for a special shoe for arthritis.
- Another important feature is that the shaft of the shoe measures around 2 inches from the arch. This makes it very comfortable for those who suffer from heel problems and inflamed toes and fingers.
- It comes with a cushioned collar which absorbs pressure while walking.
- The entire shoe is very light weight without compromising on the features that are required for those suffering from Arthritis.
6. Dunham and Aravon by New Balance – Best Work Dress Shoes for Arthritic Feet
Dunham for Men’s and Aravon for Women are Branded shoes by New Balance; they incorporate advanced technologies from running and walking sneakers into a dress and office work shoes, letting you feel comfortable all day long.
- A New Balance’s patented ABZORB cushioning helps distribute weight across your feet making it as one of the best shoes for arthritic feet.
- Stylish yet classic-designed shoes, crafted from highly polished leather.
- Thess shoes come with a removable cushioned insoles.
- The combination of the full grain leather upper with the rubber outsole makes these shoes very comfortable work shoes.
- Many widths to choose and up to 4E – which is the highest width available in shoes, for women’s they offer 2A width size which is perfect for very narrow feet.
7. Best Running Shoes for Arthritis – New Balance 1540v2
- Extra width – up to 6E giving you best possibility to customize this shoe to fit exactly to your feet.
- Symmetrical ROLLBAR technology for for optimum foot stability.
- Lightweight upper constructed with mesh for breathability and moisture wicking.
- Dual density collar foam allows a precise fit with soft touch.
- Mesh sides for people who suffer from unusual foot structure.
- Great shoe for running, walking and long standing for people with Arthritis.
- These Insoles for arthritis are a great first aid to replace existing insoles.
- By absorbing the impact with every step, they are clinically proven relief of osteoarthritis pain in the knees, feet, and hips
- If you are active senior with knee, hip and foot problems, You’ll find the Arthritis Pain Relief Orthotics extremely helpful
- Hinman, R., & Bennell, K. (2009). Advances
in Insoles and Shoes for Knee Osteoarthritis. Current Opinion in Rheumatology, 200921(2), 164-170. Retrieved from
- Delzell, E. (n.d.). The Ultimate
Arthritis-Friendly Shoe Guide. Retrieved from http://www.arthritistoday.org/what-you-can-do/everyday-solutions/do-it-easier/what-to-wear/comfortable-shoes-for-arthritis.php
- Shakoor, N.,
Sengupta, M., Foucher, K. C., Wimmer, M. A., Fogg, L. F., & Block, J. A.
(2010). Effects of common footwear on joint loading in osteoarthritis of the
knee. Arthritis Care & Research, 62, 917–923.
doi: 10.1002/acr.20165. Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/acr.20165/full
Table of Contents
- Types of Arthritis
- Why Special Shoes for Arthritis?
- Shoes for Arthritic Feet Reviews
- 1. Asics Neo 4 – Best Walking Shoes for Arthritic Feet
- 2. Hush Puppies – Casual Shoes for Arthritis
- 3. Orthofeet Closure Strap – Best Velcro Dress Shoes for Arthritis
- 4. Rockport World Tour – Classic Arthritic Travel Walking Shoes
- 5. New Balance Men’s MW577 Leather Hook/Loop Walking Shoe
- 6. Dunham and Aravon by New Balance – Best Work Dress Shoes for Arthritic Feet
- 7. Best Running Shoes for Arthritis – New Balance 1540v2
- Orthofeet Men's Asheville Comfort Orthotic Slippers for Arthritis
- 9. Dr. Scholl’s Arthritis Pain Relief Orthotics